Re: So what should magic weapons look like?

JimLotFP wrote:

I do have to say though that if a magic weapon or armor is all benefit and no danger, you're not doing it weird. It might give you power, but it should be a heavy, heavy burden.

(one review of Grindhouse said the magic items were worthless examples because they were all cursed... which was the whole point...)

But does a weird magical item necessarily have to carry a "price tag"?   

Depending on what's emphasized, it may end up like those cursed items in Gothic-Horror settings - a round-about way to enforce a morality system.

Eddie G wrote:

But does a weird magical item necessarily have to carry a "price tag"?   

Depending on what's emphasized, it may end up like those cursed items in Gothic-Horror settings - a round-about way to enforce a morality system.

As long as your players approach magic items with a healthy sense of trepidation, you're doing it right.  Even if there's nothing "wrong" with the item, it's always amusing to watch the players as they wonder "when the other shoe will drop". 

"It SEEMS safe enough so far, but I have a bad feeling.  I think YOU should carry it"

Last edited by Sir Wulf (2012-09-27 19:50:11)

Sir Wulf wrote:

"It SEEMS safe enough so far, but I have a bad feeling.  I think YOU should carry it"

That's the feeling I like to go for. Though I will on occasion give a magic item that has a situational bonus with no drawback, just so they never get to the point of saying "we're just going to stop using magic items altogether!"

I would over top on the bonus to make the item somethings players really, really want and put a hefty drawback on it, like sword that is actual tongue of demi-god of war snatched out of it's jaws, looks perfectly mundane but old, delivers on roll of 17-20 mad amounts of damage like say 4d6 or hey why not more, but every time you draw it out of sheath or grab it there is cumulative chanse of succumbing to berker madness, first time it is 1 in 20, next time it is on roll of 1 and 2 and so on. Those going berserker are in permanent state of blood rage and will indiscriminately attack anyone in sight until killed or subdued themself and seek new victims until killed by somebody or die out of hunger, thirst and exhaustion. Next owner of the sword starts with 1 in 20 chanse or alternatively with the accumulated rage if you want to prevent the killer sword switching player hands.

Last edited by MutieMoe (2012-09-28 13:21:38)

I've also toyed with the idea of weapons with "plausible deniability".  For example, when a rune-carved sword connects with a monster or NPC, the Referee could roll a second damage die and deal the larger number to the target.  (Magic armor would work in reverse: Ref throws two damage dice, takes the smaller.)  Players will figure out a creature's AC after a few hits and note inconsistencies, but only the Ref knows how many HP a creature starts with.  Since the effect is wholly random, players who figure out their sword is magical can't count on it working for them in any battle.

For that matter, if a sword grants a +1 or even +2 to AB, is it magical or just really well made?  Does Excalibur need to grant combat advantages or does its significance transcend rules and numbers?  What does the Spear of Destiny actually DO?

It may not be "Weird Fantasy", but famous artifacts of vague goodness might drive a whole campaign.  Imagine every knight questing for the Lance of Truth, every noble desiring it, every commoner inspired by whoever wields it.  Imagine the wars fought over its possession, the blood spilled on once fertile fields, the magnificent feasts ravens enjoy.

Last edited by fmitchell (2012-10-01 06:00:54)

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

I'm more interested in technology as magic items myself. I'm not talking about laser guns or robots. Even something like the Korean turtle-ship would make for an interesting magic item. It's just an improvement on existing technologies of the time, but it has this interesting mythos surrounding it. The way some people describe it makes it sound like some kind of legendary thing that wouldn't have been out of place in cosmic battles against demons or something... but nope, apparently it was real.
These things are said to have had fully covered deck with iron plates* to deflect attacks and large spikes to prevent boarding, and a dragon head at the bow that shot cannon fire or flames from the mouth.

*There is no solid evidence to suggest that turtle ships were iron-clad, but don't say that to a Korean citizen. Some people take a lot of nationalistic pride in the turtle ship.

In indiana Jones Holy Grail was a mundane wooden cup, not one of those awesome golden jeweled cups. So sometimes a magic item could look just normal.

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

MutieMoe wrote:

I would over top on the bonus to make the item something players really, really want and put a hefty drawback on it...

The problem with that approach is that the item can become an "all or nothing" factor in combat:  If they use it successfully, it's a "win button", but when its drawback manifests, it can maim or disable the entire party.  If they understand the risk, players will generally refuse to use it until they are desperate, which makes the curse doubly devastating when it finally manifests. 

To provide an example, suppose that the players were to find an item called The Accursed Coronet of Iggra, an intricately-wrought diadem of blackened silver set with cabochons of pale beryl.  Its wearer can draw upon the coronet to project several potent magicks, but with each spell he casts, he runs a progressively greater risk that Iggra's malevolent spirit will possess his body.

While someone rash enough to don any item known as the "Accursed" probably deserves what he gets, many groups would keep such an item stowed away until they are out of other options, when the item could make the difference between a hard-fought victory or a spectacular defeat.  Unfortunately, this makes such combats more "swingy", moving combat away from smart tactics and toward dumb luck as its ruling factor.

Last edited by Sir Wulf (2012-11-25 19:32:35)