Topic: So what should magic weapons look like?

LotFP Grindhouse says that magical weapons are fine, they just should be rare and not fall into a +1/+2 arms race.  Okay, so how are they suppose to work then?  It could be pretty easy to, say, allow spells to be cast from it as if it was a wand or staff, or to have it talk, but how to represent a sword of "power" in direct combat?

What about keeping the +1/+2 bonus track, but making the bonus only to damage and not attack rolls?  That's the only thing I've been able to come up with so far.

There is also the question of armor: what would make magical armor different from regular armor if it doesn't improve your chances to be hit?  I think in literature there is the common idea that someone in magical armor is almost impervious to mundane weapons, and would require a magical weapon to fight against, but that would still be an arms race.

Last edited by islan (2011-10-12 14:14:44)

Re: So what should magic weapons look like?

If keeping on the +1/+2 track, I'd make the bonus to hit, but not to damage. (or increase the damage die, just so it's still possible to do 1hp damage)

Hammers of the God has a couple of examples of how magic weapons could work.

I do have to say though that if a magic weapon or armor is all benefit and no danger, you're not doing it weird. It might give you power, but it should be a heavy, heavy burden.

(one review of Grindhouse said the magic items were worthless examples because they were all cursed... which was the whole point...)

Well if it modified the attack roll, then magical armor would have to modify AC to compensate, wouldn't it?  And then there's an arms race.  I was thinking about shifting magical armor to have to do with HP as well, but it doesn't make sense outside of a particularly unique item I had an idea for.

Last edited by islan (2011-10-12 20:42:34)

The thing to do is to either make magical items have marginal benefit, or add drawbacks appropriate to their power.

A slaying sword that forces it's wielder to attack any living creature within melee distance once it is drawn is an example.

As is a suit of high bonus leather armor made from the skin of innocents, and thus no beneficial cleric/lawful spells will work on the character as long as it is worn, and perhaps sometime after. (days, weeks, until the character atones?)

Of course, you could also add in things like obviously ancient equipment that is unusually resistant or immune to rust or tarnishing, a cup that turns alcohol into water when filled with it, and other odd and questionably useful objects.

islan wrote:

And then there's an arms race.

Ever seen War Games?

Neko--kun wrote:

Of course, you could also add in things like obviously ancient equipment that is unusually resistant or immune to rust or tarnishing, a cup that turns alcohol into water when filled with it, and other odd and questionably useful objects.

That is one idea I had:  say something is magical, but give no real mechanical benefit.  Or just have particularly ornate weapons and armor without any magic to them.  Another idea I had was to expand the "bonus vs. an unadjusted AC of X or higher", maybe to something like "+4 bonus vs. a uAC of 20-22" as the range 20-22 is the "realm of AC granted to beings clad in armor forged in the pits of hell" or some-such.

I think that Elric's Strombringer is a fine example of a "weird" magic item. While it is highly effective in combat (in game terms I'd give it +5 to-hit and +1 to the bearer's STR and END modifiers), it also has a will of its own and thus might force its bearer to kill people he'd otherwise prefer to keep alive, including loved ones. It is also highly "addictive" and difficult to leave behind (must pass saving throw to part with it).

Last edited by golan2072 (2011-10-13 18:39:56)

How about a well crafted shortsword with a large red gem in the handle? The gem appears to reflect more light than is available but never actually glows.

It has a demon bound to it and that makes the weapon magical and gives it some interesting properties. When used against undead or demons there are no bonuses. However, when used against living things or magical creatures/beings (like dragons and djinnis) the sword does D12 damage. It turns red after doing damage and turns a deep red if it participates in a kill of an intelligent creature. The colour fades over the next three days if it is not used. If the blade is not fed within three days of its last kill it will punish the wielder with terrible nightmares for ten nights. After 13 days it will block all attempts to heal ( natural and magical) the wielder of the sword until it is used to kill an intelligent creature.

Once someone uses the sword to kill 13 intelligent creatures or a single large or magical beast (like a giant, ogre, dragon etc) the sword will bond to him or her. At that point it will be nearly impossible to get rid of. Always retuning unexpectedly; laying in the road in front of the PC, replacing a mundane weapon in its sheath when the character isn't paying attention etc.

It would be great to have while campaigning but a bitch when you are laid up in town trying to heal some serious wounds. I might call it the Blood Drinker since that's what it does. The extra damage coming from it's blood draining effect when used. Not a nice weapon, but certainly an effective one.

Oh hell, let's just turn this into a Magical Item thread big_smile

-The Red Carapace-

This deep-red armor appears to be made from some kind of exoskeleton of some giant insect.  It grants an AC of 18, but whenever the wearer is damaged, it will take 1d10-1 of the damage in lieu of its master.  The armor has 15 hit points.  When the armor is damaged, it cracks and bleeds.  The only way for the armor to heal itself is to siphon it from the one who dons it--injecting hollow "fangs" into them and sucking the HP directly to repair their own at a rate of 1d4 per turn.  If it is attempted to remove the armor during this time, it will prove very difficult, taking 1 turn and dealing 1d8 damage to the wearer in the process.

If the armor ever reaches 0 hp, the plates separate and fall off.  The armor can only be repaired through a ritual requiring a sacrifice of a creature with at least 1 HD.

I really like that the armour bleeds when it is penetrated. I love the concept so much I'm going to have to use bleeding armour in another context.

I think D10-1 is too much. I could see it absorbing D4-1, but no more than that. Other than that, I love this armour. The way I imagine it is pretty gruesome. It must scare the crap out of NPCs! They'd take one look at PC and think he was either a devil or in league with one. Not something you want to wear in Pembrooktonshire on market day.

Hm, you're probably right, maybe I'll change it to d6-1.

Also note: the armor falls off the instant it hits 0 hp, even in the midst  of combat (lose AC), and there are no rules for *when* the armor decides to heal itself ... or even exactly *who* it heals from (they just have to be wearing it at the time).

Last edited by islan (2011-10-14 13:53:49)

In response to Ed...

Wouldn't making magic weapons ignore regular armor just lead to everything the party encounters that would normally wear armor and be hit at a base AC 12, doning magic armor just in order to survive?

This would lead to a proliferation of magic armor, which is almost worse than plus hit weapons.

Personally, +1 or maaaaybe +2 weapons as heirloom items or Hanzo style master weapons is fine with me.  It can help extend a characters pride just enough to really get them in deep trouble.  But any such weapon has to have a full background story, maybe even others who are seeking it, it can't just be a nice sword. +1 or +2 oddball weapons are great too.  Sure the fighter really wants a sword or the dwarf a hammer, but a +1 Pitchfork of Agony or +1 Arrows of Bat Slaying are great as well.  They lead to surprising role-play situations.  I mean, a crazy magician can make all kinds of stuff for some reason lost to time and replaced by legend.

Anything higher level or with special abilities is a fabled artifact in its own right.  I love the ego concept for swords from D&D and believe that it could be perfectly applicable to armor.  The Red Carapace would be great with an ego, as would Neko's Orphan Leather Mini-Skirt.

I generally hate simple +1 or whatever magic armor though...go figure.

I am actually quite certain that the Red Carapace would have an ego (it pretty much decides when it feeds), but its limited ability to communicate would probably result in those who wear it never actually knowing.  I could see a clever player somehow working out an unspoken contract with his armor, "feeding" it other people (i.e., putting it on them) so that the armor never feeds on him.

I think the armor could exert its ego by physically by inhibiting a user who did not bend to its will.  Maybe locking the arm tight during combat or tripping the character up at some crucial moment. The armor refusing to aid the player, in other words. A character that gave in to the armor entirely could face possible takeover such as what is possible with high ego swords.  This armor is a fantastic idea, maybe even having it be part of some set with a shield and weapon that helped shape the history of some ancient empire or something.  Lots of possiblilites.

Back to Ed...

Maybe I am confused here but, how does ignoring non-magical armor mean you don't ignore AC, it is derived from the type of armor that is worn?  With no armor you are AC 12.  If you ignore non-magical the AC goes to 12 - otherwise you are not actually ignoring the armor at all, just adding in some negative modifier that would keep the AC lower than 12.  Granted the normal To Hit mods would still apply, as they would with normal and magical armor.

With regard to monsters and animals, many of them use AC as a composite for lots of different characteristics, and we are not just talking dragons and purple worms, but bears and wolves as well;  speed, dexterity, hide thickness, scaly plates, phasing in and out of existence, training, etc.  A magical weapon which does not help against mundane critters and men, especially in LotFP seems like a pretty useless weapon for most adventuring situations, or at least no better than a standard sword.  Coupled with your idea of the sword not helping against magical creatures, whose AC is based on many of the previously mentioned items in addition to actual armor, makes it useless in all situations. A major reason to obtain a magical sword in the first place, so you can actually connect with wraiths and other such things that require magic attacks to hit them.  From what I can tell based on what you listed the weapon would only help against normal armored men and nothing else.

I think overall, a weapon ignoring armor is more trouble than it is worth at least not without exhaustive rules and exceptions, which runs counter to playing OSR game systems in the first place. 

I like weapons that do either +1 to hit or +1 to wound only, not both.  Against magical critters that require magical attacks to hit, then that is the bonus to hit right there ---you get to attempt to hit (assuming a wounding sword, a plus to hit would apply as normal).

I think all items should be rare and have a back story, but relics and artifacts should be absolutely unique.  A masterfully crafted sword with a permanent sharpness spell that grant +1 to wound could exist in multiple forms.  But a specific Orb of Endless Rain would be unique.  Or something like that.

Weapons in OSR rules, like 0D&D and Lamentations, generally modify the to hit dice roll and not the AC.  This amounts to the same thing in most cases but there are some important differences.  I think this fundamental is what your proposed idea undermines and therefore leads to the many problems, and loopholes, that you are failing to see. 

I understand the base armor class.  The Base Armor Class of 12 in  this game applies to unarmored characters, it is not always the same with monsters.  The Referee book states only that the AC on monsters should be relatable to the AC of characters.Your weapon would almost always be used against something with base armor class 12, since most monsters (men) have only their armor to rely on. Most modifiers from attributes apply to classed characters and size modifiers are uncommon since man-sized creatures are the norm in LotFP.  Even when these modifiers apply, they will seldom adjust the AC more than a couple of points upwards. You are making the assumption that all the modifiers that adjust armor class are common enough and numerous enough to offset ignoring armor, and that just is not the case.

LotFP uses ascending armor class so modifiers add to your AC with Dexterity being the most common and requiring an 18 in the attribute for +3, 16-17 for +2, and a minimum 13 for +1.  High dex NPCs who gain this modifier would be fairly rare.

Next, we have the Combat Options adjustment, where the best AC aid is to parry. You can add to AC by parrying +2 or +4 depending on class, but this makes you lose your attack or other action that round, so is a temporary measure at best. 

Weapons, magic, and etc. all generally apply to the to hit dice roll that the attacker makes, as stated above, and so do not directly modify the AC of the target. While the end result may look the same as modifying the target's AC, the two are not the same. The adjusted AC is what a die is rolled against to hit (the THAC0 concept of later AD&D).  So we see that in the majority of situations the Adjusted final armor class of the man-like target will be based almost exclusively upon armor worn.

Ed Dove wrote:

Third, the Armor Classes of magical/unnatural/Chaotic/whatever creatures & beings aren't (in most cases) from non-magical armor, so magic weapons that ignore non-magical armor won't give any benefit at all against them, either.

This is where I get the idea that your weapon is useless against most magical beings.  And the confusion leading from such statements perfectly illustrates the problem with you weapon variation.  It reverses the way magical weapons to hit bonuses work by subtracting from AC, or resorting to base AC with modifiers, rather than modifying the player's to hit roll.  Modifiers in combat will usually modify the attackers roll, not vice versa.

Ed Dove wrote:

How so?  What sort of rules and exceptions are you imagining?

The only trouble I can think of at all is just deciding which creatures have non-magical armor-like body characteristics (all of which seem pretty obvious to me), what sort of armor those characteristics are like (which also seems pretty obvious to me, too), and which creatures have magical armor-like characteristics (which each referee can just decide for themself however they want).  And none of that seems to me like much trouble at all.  In fact, it’s just some of the stuff referees already have to think about anyway.  But, using these ideas, it’d just have some extra applications.  That’s all.

In order to make your weapons work, you would have examine and reinterpret the AC characteristics of every single stated monster that exists in OD&D, Lamentations, Labyrinth Lord, Moldvay D&D, Homes D&D, and etc. so that you could reconfigure them, based upon your own assumptions of what their defenses entail. At the bare minimum you would have to write a conversion system that would allow another GM to make the same sort of assumptions about monster defense that you arrived at so that they could change existing monsters or create new monsters on their own.  This would make your system incompatible with base OSR games without conversion and also modify tested and existing game systems for the hypothetical benefit of preventing a magical arms race that can be prevented simply by not giving players a lot of magical items in the first place.

Such a change in monster defenses and adjustment of modified AC would require a change in spell effects, which assume the previous game mechanics, as well as any other numbers of subsystems.  You would essentially need to rewrite most of the game with regard to how damage is handled and how to hit numbers are arrived at.

This changing of core game concepts, from reversing what magical weapons modify to redefining monster defense values  is what makes this run counter to the principles of these games.  Proposed rule variations do not, in general, attempt to replace core game mechanics; this change is more of a new game system concept and therefore more applicable if you were writing a new game entirely.

Last edited by The Degenerate Elite (2011-10-15 12:14:03)

If you change the way weapon bonuses are utilized by shifting from modifiers that apply to the attacker's to hit dice role, to effects that change the target's base AC and then derived modified AC, this is a major change to the system mechanics.  Period.  Modifiers on the attack have their effect upon die rolls, not upon the target.  How a game handles armor class and to hit rolls is a core element of the games design.

Don't believe me? Here is a a quote directly from the Lamentations of the Flame Princess Referee book, page four:

"Here are the fundamental parts of this game:

*The six ability scores which give certain adjustments for all characters
         *Character classes with capabilities separate from ability scores
         *Levels gained by experience points and the accumulation of abilities based on that level
         *Hit points, armor class, how to hit
         *Saving throws
         *Memorized/prepared spells

And that’s it. What the ability scores are, what
           they adjust, what the classes are and what their
           powers are, what experience is awarded for,
           what happens when one gains a level, and the
           categories of saving throws, all of these things
           can be changed. Everything not related to these
           points is completely irrelevant for defining
           what the game is and can be discarded or mod-
           ified or replaced as you like.

You are the Referee. If you don’t like something,
           change it.

But it is always a good idea to understand the
           rules and see what they are trying to do before
           you decide they should be changed or replaced."

There you see a list of the fundamental mechanics of the game, or rather what makes it Lamentations.  You, as a DM can change your game, sure, but notice that James does not recommend changing those core mechanisms, just small aspects of them.  In this context the changes are mostly just changes to a game terms name, not to the system itself.

If you change the mechanic of how magical weapons to hit bonus works, you change item four in the above.

A change to a monsters AC is also a change to four above.

A change to how spells work is a change to four and six above.

So that is three fundamental mechanics changed with your ignoring non-magical armor class idea.

But if you still do not agree, then read on....

You would absolutely need to change spell hit and damage descriptions in order to account for this new system. If each creature has a shifted AC that a DM has objectively determined based upon his own views about a monsters physiology and what aspects of its defensive capabilities are magical and non-magical, then these same changes would apply to spells, and possibly other forms of attacks and damage, like holy water or oil fire. Or do you honestly believe that magical spells and magical weapons should operate on wholly different resolution mechanics within a single combat?

If you cannot see the implications of changing this mechanic, and the amount of work it would unnecessarily place upon the GM (see below for how to handle power creep) then I don't know what other arguments to make to you.
Go to http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi and post your idea.
And also ask them what the fundamental and core mechanics of D&D, OSR, and LotFP magical weapon damage happen to be.  Maybe I am not being clear enough.

The Degenerate Elite wrote:

Proposed rule variations do not, in general, attempt to replace core game mechanics...

Ed Dove wrote:

And this proposal doesn't do that, either -- unless you consider magic weapons, armor & shields having plusses to be core game mechanics of LotFP even though the only time the LotFP rules even mention the possibility of magic weapons, armor & shields having plusses is when they're saying not to do that.

LotFP is based upon Dungeons and Dragons 0e, with some bit of Holmes and Moldvay -  it has pluses that add to a weapons, and magical weapons, attack role.  That is a fundamental mechanic of the game system.  They do not subtract from AC. Most do not even provide pluses to damage.  A change from this IS a mechanics change.

Ed Dove wrote:

1)  Replace the game mechanism that's most commonly & easily used to make magic weapons, armor & shields increasingly powerful -- plusses -- with something that doesn't have any set numerical value, and so can't be easily increased, to at least inhibit, if not prevent, a qualitative magical arms race.

So please explain how you are not advocating changing the game mechanism?

And again your basis for this "rules fix" is that an arms race exists in any game where a GM allows players to use plus magical weapons.  This is fallacious and patently untrue.  A GM is NEVER obligated to provide more weapons and more armor simply because the player desires them. This is, in fact, poor game mastering. Gygax himself called the handing out of magic items wholesale as"Monty Haul" gaming and advised to avoid it

You MAY provide a few +1 or +2 weapons in order to allow your campaign to progress to more difficult dungeon levels and to allow players to slay monsters by allowing characters to hit creatures that are immune to normal attacks.  That is all.

The original D&D had provision for a +3 sword, spear, shield, and warhammer, as well as a few weapons that got +3 against certain enemies, nothing else.  These four items would be fantastic artifacts obtained only at the highest levels of a campaign and probably after many, many PC deaths.  They are more party rewards for dedicated play than they are individual awards for power gamers.

I apologize if this comes off as mean or bull-headed but you have some good ideas, I just want you to understand why this is not one of them.

Ed, I think the Degenerate is correct.

Your idea for magic items ignoring chunks of AC is needlessly complicated and wildly inconsistent. The resulting bonus from ignoring the armour component of AC would be equivalent to anything from 0 to +6 (possibly more) to hit, which I think is a little overpowered for LotFP.

I would never use your model for magic weapons and armour. You, of course, are free do as you wish.

Ed and degen both have points - i suppose it's how you look at it.

Sometimes I think it helps to realize that some things are mathematically equivalent, and one needs to take a deep breath and stop thinking like a gamer and just imagine what would be cool.

I like the drawbacks and benefits model quite a bit, although one should try to balance them somewhat, while at the same time not being too formulaic in the approach.

Personally I find the one magic weapon which ignores non magical armor to be quite alluring. Safe to say it won't come with a magical scabbard and you'll constantly cut your-self/stuff/horse etc with it until you figure something out. If I used that item I would have magical armor only improve AC by the pluses or what have you, not the base figure.

Safe to say that while I don't mind the +1 sword, I think that magical weapons should be rare and badass. On dragonsfoot there was a recent argument regarding the sword of sharpness in terms of if it should sometimes cut off the head a la a vorpal sword. Many were firmly against this idea, but to me that's a bit silly. If you limit the campaign to one or two of these weapons and make them hard to get (while they're being used against you no less), then how terrible is it for a higher level character that earned it to possess a sword that occasionally ends a fight prematurely by decapitating the dragon?

Whenever things like this stump me I think of Old Geezer (Mike Mornard) saying "we just made up some S**t we thought would be cool".

Well it perhaps wouldn't be too far of a stretch of the imagination for a set of armor that has the spell Protection from Normal Weapons (or however it's called) on permanently -- and from this we can easily extrapolate weapons with something like "Piercing on Normal Armor", though for some reason I can only imagine it on edged weapons.

This presence would result in something akin to the following:

Normal Weapon vs. Magical Armor (w/ "Protection") = impossible (maybe allow on nat 20?)
Magical Weapon (if it has nothing else but "Piercing") vs. Normal Armor = as if no armor (uAC 12, maybe 13 with a shield?)
Magical Weapon vs. Magical Armor = normal

This particularly reminds me of Elric of Melnibone, and how his sword would cut through his foes as if they were butter, but when he faced that one guy with the magical armor he was stopped cold in his tracts.  But I would still suggest such weapons and armor being exceedingly rare, and I'm unsure if I'd want such a magical item model in every game that I ran (would cause quite a breach in the haves and have-nots, but enforced rarity can make something of a difference there).

I admittedly have only read a few posts in the above thread, but I thought I'd provide an example I'm planning on using in my campaign for critique.

Mankiller: Mankiller was supposedly given to the Hochmeister of the Sword Brothers by one of Armadeus's chief Lieutenants.  Its history before that point is unknown; however, bards and scholars alike believe that it was forged in the Pit itself.   It appears as a two handed sword whose blade bears a strange, reddish tint.  Hellish runes on the blade reveal the swords name if Read Magic is cast upon it.  This does not reveal any of Mankiller's abilities, but it does make these abilities easier to research.

Mankiller provides a +1 bonus to to hit rolls.  In addition, when a command word is uttered or a natural 20 is rolled on a to hit roll the sword drains one HD or Level of energy from the target.  Those struck by this attack possess strange wounds.  Their skin becomes translucent, and their hair becomes shock-white.  This power has a 3d10 charges rolled when the sword is first found by the player characters.

Mankiller is powered by a human soul, namely the soul of its last wielder.  Once the drain energy charges reach zero, the soul inside the sword is obliterated forever and the current user's soul is placed inside.  His or her body then becomes a horrible form of undead bound to the sword until it is slain and the sword finds a new master.

The sword passed from Hochmeister to Hochmeister as the Brothers descended deeper into darkness.  It is said to have slain Prince Cludewig when the men of the West assaulted Nightwick Abbey, but there are none alive who can confirm this.

Edit: I added more descriptive detail.

Last edited by Evan (2011-11-13 10:48:07)

Someone posted an item for LotFP here:

http://postmortemstudios.wordpress.com/ … roths-axe/

Well, it looks like I might have judged Ed's idea too harshly. When it's delivered like this it sounds cool and makes sense. I think it would work for one, unique item but I'd still hate to see all magic weapons with these characteristics.

JimLotFP wrote:

Someone posted an item for LotFP here:

http://postmortemstudios.wordpress.com/ … roths-axe/

I have a criticism of Hroth's Axe. Since it isn't an actual weapon of war I don't think it should have a bonus to hit. I'd even go so far as to give it a -1 to hit. It would still be awesome against armoured opponents but actually not as good of a weapon against unarmoured (AC 12) types. The +1 to damage could stay or not. I have not problem with it but I also don't think it's necessary.

I think the -1 to hit would fit the weird and the story better.

Shit, I didn't (consciously) remember that.

When trying to figure out what the spear should do, what did come to mind was "If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut," from Kill Bill.

Ed Dove wrote:
JimLotFP wrote:

Shit, I didn't (consciously) remember that.

When trying to figure out what the spear should do, what did come to mind was "If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut," from Kill Bill.

Quentin Tarantino is a lot more inspirational than I am.

But I still consider it vindication, anyway.

Naah Ed, your quite inspirational.   Quentin just knows the secret of being a great artist: Steal.

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." , the old Buddhist Koan was Q's inspiration.