Topic: Where do you record oversize items on the character sheet?

This has been coming up repeatedly in my games; the assumption is that oversize items would not go on the normal item list, as that could lead to a "double dipping" situation where oversize items are worth 1.2 encumbrance points instead of 1.

What we have been doing is putting them in the second column of the non-encumbering items box.

How do you record them?

Re: Where do you record oversize items on the character sheet?

I would record them twice (or more), or drawing a line from first to last cell.

I'll bump this to ask for a clarification - do oversize items also count as items to be listed on the main equipment list or not?

Oversized items should not count twice because many of them are weapons and are listed on the weapon section of the character sheet. It doesn't make sense that oversized items like a ten-foot pole would count as 1.2 encumbrance points when a weapon like a polearm only counts as 1 encumbrance point. I suppose, if you are writing the weapons down in both sections then the opposite is true. I just assume since weapons are worn they aren't encumbering.

Why don't you just have them devote part of their sheet's "non-encumbering items" section to oversized items? It seems like a good fit since all those items look the same on the equipment list anyway.

Last edited by David (2011-09-02 00:40:01)

Weapons count for encumbrance.  List them on the encumbrance section as well as the stat listing on the front, along with stacks of ammo, and large items like poles and shields. Armor counts too.  Oversized items take up two boxes on the list, just draw arrows to show that second box is filled.

Basically, a fighter (or whatever) in chain, with a missile weapon, melee weapon and some gear WILL start out encumbered.  Such is the price of wearing heavier armor.

I often count the standard pack of gear (Backpack, 2 small sacks, bedroll, water skin, tinderbox, and 7 iron rations) as one entry on the encumbrance list also.

And all oversized items are +1 point of encumbrance in addition to a normal slot.  This is to show that they are unwieldy or heavy.  Drop them before combat.

Last edited by The Degenerate Elite (2011-09-02 07:20:37)

I suppose that makes good sense. I was thrown off by the section of the rules that say clothing and a backpack are exempt s long as you wear them.

On page 38 of the encumbrance rules, it states under the ** notation (which is in regards to the 'carry list') that "Oversized items are counted separately", which means they are not counted for encumbrance twice.  I personally think you can list the oversized items in the last four slots of the Equipment list just because you probably aren't ever going to get that far (unless you don't want to be able to move).

I continue to have trouble understanding oversized items, the description makes it sound like every quarterstaff or 10' pole counts as one and therefore just carrying two 10' poles puts you at encumbered.  The circles under Encumbrance on the character sheet also seem a little misleading, as the two circles next to Plate Armor mean +2 encumbrance, but the four circles next to oversized items appear to mean that each oversized item is +1 encumbrance and you can only carry four of them.

Last edited by islan (2011-09-06 00:11:14)

Hmmm, now I'm going to have to start reading the rules before I comment on this stuff.

As for the two 10' poles encumbering someone I can see it. Even carrying eight foot sections of lumber can be unwieldy if they aren't stacked and a cylindrical pole doesn't exactly stack. I think if my players said they wanted to tie three or four poles together I'd count it as one oversized item but if they were just holding them together I'd stick to the one dot per pole rule. In regards to the limit of four, how many oversized items would someone need on a regular basis? It's not like you carry a sack of gold and jewels INTO the dungeon.

islan wrote:

On page 38 of the encumbrance rules, it states under the ** notation (which is in regards to the 'carry list') that "Oversized items are counted separately", which means they are not counted for encumbrance twice.

Thanks - I had missed that note!  That clears up my question quite nicely.

David wrote:

In regards to the limit of four, how many oversized items would someone need on a regular basis? It's not like you carry a sack of gold and jewels INTO the dungeon.

Just to clarify:  I was not complaining that there was a limit of 4 oversized items, I was pointing how the definition of circles for Oversized Items was different from other items on the 'circle chart'.