Topic: Reading Rules & Magic, sharing enjoyment

76 pages in to the Rules & Magic Player Core Book and things are standing out to me as particularly odd and cool:

Elves are effected by holy water. They don't belong in this world and barely belong in the game, right along with the impotent dwarves.

Protection Scrolls! Pushing clerics to ritual sacrifice...nice.

Summon (I peaked ahead): I feel like this spell being available to first level magic-user is a big reason the world depicted in the adventures is as fucked up as it is.

Retainers: Yes, you might need to hire folks to help you manage what you gain from adventuring but the system does not recommend taking up title. Taxes don't count towards XP, so who gives a fuck.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it, backed the Ref Book and can't wait to get a copy of the Grindhouse Boxed Set that I nabbed online.

More than that, I'm eager to get a game going, see the book hit the table.

If anyone has any tales about how these things have hit their table, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Githyanki Diaspora: my gaming blog

Re: Reading Rules & Magic, sharing enjoyment

Summon gets mostly ignored by my players; they don't think it's worth casting.

Everyone ends up bringing a retainer (often clerics and fighters). It's getting to the point where I'm considering declaring that the church is less and less willing to allow it's clergy to go adventuring simply for cash rewards.

Dwarves are not impotent sir! They don't get the attack bonus, but they tend to live slightly longer (which is no small thing in this game!).

Elves also detect as 'evil' (Detect Evil is actually Detect Chaos). Also, Elves cannot be affected by certain divine magics, like Bless. Makes for some fun roleplay moments if you flavor your campaign with the detail that elves are rare and not well known by most humans.

I wasn't making a judgment on dwarven stats or ability in combat. I was talking about their ability to make fuck.

I really like the elves as from an otherworld. It reminds me of Corum a bit, in the best of ways.

Finished the book tonight on the train back home. Love the world-building in the spell descriptions. They really drove home the idea that magic is from outside this world, not at all a natural part of it and is therefor dangerous and not something that makes sense to our primate brains.

I'm jotting down notes for adventure ideas, which is always a good sign.

One more thing, the art is fantastic. I love the art choices and I'm enamored of the iconic trio of adventurers on this forum's banner.