Topic: Better Than Any Man - Savage Worlds Conversion

My group loves Savage Worlds, so I'll be converting all of Better Than Any Man to be played in a Gritty damage Savage Worlds setting. I'm obviously open to discussion as I've yet to actually play LotFP (D&D 2E is the closest I've played), but love the adventure released during the free RPG day and see a lot of potential. With that said, I will be taking a few creative liberties to further flesh out the characters. You could always stick to more vanilla or put your own twist on things with no browbeating from me!

The following contains monster, trap, and location spoilers. If you're a planning to be a player character, I'd suggest you move on. You've been warned, but just in case...

WARNING: SPOILERS

The Seven
A group of sorcerers that lost their loved ones to war and all the consequences that go along with it. Many women were being accused of witchcraft (practitionors or not) and being trialed. Gabrielle Bauer (The Maker) gathered what true sorcerers she could find and cast a spell, killing herself in the process. The remaining women were instantly in charge of the town and became known as The Seven. Disturbing horrors stand by their side since that day with no explanation for their apperance.

The Defender: ~Griselda Uhrlitz
Daddy's little princess always had high hopes for herself. Griselda always dreamt about being someone with value. In the end, she wound up marrying a poor merchant and becoming a housewife. With the death of her family, she was certain her future social status was ruined. Then she discovered her natural talent for magic. A little fiddling with magic wouldn't damn her for eternity, right?

With the horrific creature standing behind her, who would dare challenge her authority? She will protect this town from any threats and has a bit of a god complex with her new horrific ally. She expects to be treated like Daddy's little princess and acts like a spoiled child.

• Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6

• Pace 6, Parry 4, Toughness 5, Charisma +2

• Arcane Background (Magic) d8, Fighting d4, Intimidation d6+2, Notice d8, Persuasion d8+2, Taunt d8+2

• Edges: Arcane Background(Magic), Attractive, Strong Willed

• Gear: Fancy Dress, Jewelry, Spellbook

• Spell: Be Impressive - Raise Intimidation, Persuasion, or Taunt roll by +2. +4 on a raise.

• Combat: Spews insults, threats, and taunts her foes as her creature gives her extra abilities and attributes.

The Defender's Creature: ~"Envy"

• Pace 0, Parry 0, Toughness 0

• Abilities: Fearless,

• Soul Siphoning - Steals the best abilities, edges, skills, and spells of anything within a 5" Radius for itself and Griselda, replacing it with a 0 (including pace and run dice, but excluding any Arcane Background (Miracles) abilities and magic). If a creature leaves the 5" Radius, all abilities and powers are returned. Spell points spent by the creature or its master are lost.

The Defiler: ~Emma Gabges
Poor thing's not right in the head. After he husband and children died, she was sure their ghosts were haunting her. Absolutely positive. The clergy couldn't stop them. Not even the "wise women" strolling through could put an end to it. Then she learned a little magic. She learned how to find them instead of waiting to be found. Taught herself to fight. She'll teach them to not stay dead!

• Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6+1, Strength d8, Vigor d6

• Pace 6, Parry 4, Toughness 6, Charisma -4(To those that know of her illness. It become obvious with a few minutes of being around her.)

• Arcane Background (Magic) d6, Climbing d6, Fighting d8, Intimidation d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Tracking d6

• Edges: Ambidextrous, Quick, Two-Fisted

• Gear: Axe(Str+d6), Flintlock Pistol(2d6+1), Leather Armor, Slayer's Necklace (+1 Spirit), Spellbook

• Spell: Detect Undead - Detects undead within 30'. There is a 1/10 chance Emma will identify each person within range of being undead and will attack.

• Combat: Fires a single shot, then wields the axe in her main hand and the flintlock pistol as a small melee weapon (Str+d4) in her off hand. She's insane, so good luck getting her to stop swinging or call her vile pet off you!

Last edited by PridefulOne (2013-06-29 07:47:39)

Re: Better Than Any Man - Savage Worlds Conversion

While I no nothing of the adventure "Better than any Man" nor do I know the rules to Savage Worlds, I must say that the NPC and her accompanying creature look positively awesome. "I'll just insult you and your friends while my little pet here ganks the best abilities any of you have" Thats great!

In Savage worlds you can actually cause someone to be shaken (unable to do anything except move at half speed) by intimidating or taunting them unless they make a successful vigor roll on their following turn. The system doesn't have shaken is kind of a "shield" before you start taking wounds. It's a very unique system with a lot of interesting, but fast/effective, systems.

d8+2 is a ridiculously good test of wills roll for Taunting, especially against a typical melee class that has a lower smarts roll to resist it (Taunt vs Smarts and Intimidate vs Spirit). You've encouraged me to move onto the next of the seven right now! big_smile

Keep in mind I'm "pulping" it up a little bit because I think they all can be really entertaining to roleplay/have your characters interact with them.

Edit: Added The Defiler - XP = 10 due to her weapons training.

Last edited by PridefulOne (2013-06-29 07:46:59)

I have the adventure too and would think it be fun to Savage it as well!

You can always give your own unique twists on the spells, in keeping with the SW mechanics and to keep players on their toes.
How about for Emma's spell, it, like the cook's spell, is not really what it seems either. Instead of Detect Undead, what it really is a Detect Life spell. Emma "probes" creatures with the spell as described above, and if they successfully respond (success on a Spirit roll), they are "not undead" Those that fail the roll or who are actually undead didn't respond to the life probe and are considered "undead" by Emma. Let the killing begin!

Also, are you using the "no Power Points" rule?

Well, I think I've decided to run Better than Any Man as a Savage Worlds adventure at Genghis Con in Denver (President's Day weekend). I statted up Alice, the Flame Princess and Melissa for SW and will soon be working on The Seven, using some of the ideas here.

Here are the pregens. I hope I don't offend posting them here, as I find Lotfp is just as much about the feel and the setting as the rules!

Many of the notes and their abilities relate to images of them that have appeared in numerous LotFP publications. I'm using Solomon Kane (sans Guts) with a little Horror Companion thrown in for good measure.

Name: Alice the Musketeer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Skills: Climbing d4, Fighting d8, Healing d4, Notice d4, Shooting d8, Stealth d6, Streetwise d4, Tracking d4
Pace: 6, Parry: 6, Toughness: 7(2), Charisma: 0
Languages: English, French, German, Italian
Gear: Long Sword d8 (Str+d8 ), Matchlock Musket d8 (2d8, 10/20/40),Chain Hauberk (+2)

Hindrances:
•Heroic: Never says no to a person in need
•Loyal: Will never leave a man behind
•Stubborn: Always wants his way; Never admits he's wrong

Edges:
•Brave: +2 to Fear tests
•First Strike: Free attack vs. foe who moves adjacent (1/turn)
•Lunge: Can extend melee weapon Reach by 1
•Marksman: If no movement, gain Aim maneuver
•Musketeer: Reload powder weapon in 1 action

Personal Details: Alice is a former King's Musketeer. She was well on her way to becoming one of the King's trusted guard until it was discovered that she was not actually a man (having gone by Alex). She was asked to return her gear but snuck out in the middle of the night. Shortly after, she joined up with the Flame Princess and has been adventuring with her ever since. Their sense of loyalty to each other doesn't stop them from butting heads over the direction their adventures should take.

Name: The Flame Princess
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d6, Healing d6, Lockpicking d4, Notice d6, Persuasion d6, Stealth d4, Streetwise d6, Survival d8, Tracking d6
Pace: 4, Parry: 5, Toughness: 6(1), Charisma: 2
Languages: English, French, Gaelic, German, Greek, Latin, Russian, Spanish, Swedish/Nowegian/Danish
Gear: Short Sword d6 (Str+d6), Leather Suit (+1)

Hindrances:
•Trouble Magnet: Same as "Victim" in Horror Companion
•One Leg: -2 Pace; Roll d4 for running; -2 on mobility traits
•Stubborn: Always wants his way; Never admits he's wrong

Edges:
•Combat Reflexes: +2 on Spirit roll to recover from Shaken
•Command: Allies +1 on Spirit rolls to recover from Shaken
•Command Presence: Increase command radius to 10”
•Linguist: Hero knows twice as many languages
•Noble: +2 Charisma; Rich; Obligations to uphold
•Rich: Three times starting funds; High annual salary

Personal Details: The Flame Princess (the only name she has ever revealed) is clearly of royalty despite her attempts to "dress down" for travel. No one knows why she gave up the life of the rich, although her one leg is not the reason; a misadventure involving a cave and acidic slime was responsible for that! Shortly after, she teamed up with Alice the Musketeer and fairly recently Melissa the Sorcerer to continue adventuring. The main difficulty is that she and Alice are often at odds as to where to go and what to do.

Name: Melissa the Sorcerer
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Investigation d8+2, Knowledge: Occult d8+2, Knowledge: Religion d8+2, Magick d8, Notice d8, Streetwise d8+2
Pace: 6, Parry: 4, Toughness: 5, Charisma: 0
Languages: Dutch, English, Greek, Hindi, Portugese
Gear: Dagger d4 (Str+d4)

Hindrances:
•Bad Eyes: -2 to shoot or notice distant targets
•Habit (Major: Opium): Annoying and constant habit

Edges:
•Arcane Magic: Gain the Sorcery arcane background
•Investigator: +2 Investigation & Streetwise; +2 Notice with evidence
•Scholar (Occult, Religion): +2 on two Knowledge skills with d8+

Arcane Powers:
•Boost/Lower Trait: Raise/lower a trait by 1 die-type (2 w/raise)
•Dispel: Negate enemy arcane powers (at -2 if different type); No effect on innate powers
•Enchant Weapon: Makes a weapon magical in effect
Personal Details: Melissa is a well-traveled woman who picked up a bit of sorcery (along with an opium addiction) in her travels to the Orient in her father's caravan. She was aimlessly drifting around Europe when she met Alice and the Flame Princess. Melissa provides a much needed voice of reason when Alice and the Flame Princess get in one of their legendary arguing matches, or when researching potential adventuring sites.

I'm also throwing a classic from the old days of the Warrior comic:

Name: Father Shandor, demon stalker
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d6, Healing d6, Intimidation d8+2, Knowledge: Occult d8, Notice d6, Stealth d6, Taunt d6+2
Pace: 6, Parry: 5, Toughness: 6(1), Charisma: 0
Languages: Demonic, English, Gaelic, Latin
Gear: Flail d6 (Str+d6), Leather Suit (+1)

Hindrances:
•Cursed: Never get beneficial blessings from AB:Miracles
•Enemy (Major: Demons): Someone is out to kill you

Edges:
•Arcane Resistance: +2 on resistance rolls; 2 points Armor
•Brave: +2 to Fear tests
•Danger Sense: Notice roll at -2 to sense an imminent surprise
•Relentless: Success on recovery from Shaken gets 1 action
•Strong Willed: +2 Intimidate and Taunt; +2 vs. Tests of Will

Personal Details: Father Shandor was a Benedictine monk who realized the best way to fight the demonic forces at work in the world was to meet them head on. He traveled to Hell itself and was somewhat successful until he was "exorcised" from Hell. This made him relatively unable to live in the world at large, killing any living thing from earth that he touched. This debilitating aspect of his exorcism has since subsided, but he is still "not of this earth," yet not of the netherworld either, manifesting in him being resistant to both good and evil magic.