Topic: What do you do with players who's characters have died?

I'm thinking that they should be given a monster and then allowed to roll on a random "treasure" table for their next character every time they kill another PC.

The treasure table could have a few birth defects along with some good stuff, say 20% drawbacks, 20% quirks, 60% good stuff, like coinage, treasure maps, better than average weapons, mounts, lands and titles, etc.

What happens to your dead PC's?

Last edited by Bluespruce786 (2013-06-23 13:02:54)

Re: What do you do with players who's characters have died?

In one game I gave every player two PCs, so that if one dies they still had the other.  That proved to be a bit of overkill, since only one PC died.

While I haven't tried this in a game, I thought of including a few 0-level NPCs in every party of 1st level PCs, as "partners", hangers-on, whatever.  If a PC died, that player took over a 0-level character; if THAT character survived, the player could transfer any XP earned to his next 1st level character.  In higher-level games, maybe players could take over hirelings (two levels below PCs' levels) with the same deal.

There's always the option from Dead Gentlemen's The Gamers in which, not long after a PC dies, the remaining PCs meet a suspiciously similar PC, decide that he seems trustworthy, and lets him join the group.

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

If your PC's are past level three, and are willing to forgo a half-share of the loot, they can get a hireling each and have the hirelings watch the camp or carry torches or whatever. Then when a PC dies, that player just starts playing his hireling.

This seems interesting. As I only have the Rules and Magic pdf for the time being I am curious to know if the full game has regulations on a player simply rolling up a new character for when the party makes it back to civilazation? If the topic means while still on an adventure, well unless there are some form of hostages/prisoners to be rescued the deceased character's player just rolls up their next PC and waits for the party to return to town. Otherwise I would let them play out an npc for the time being(same goes if the party has some form of hirelings or henchmen at a later stage in the campaign) If there are no tag along npcs to be had well that person simply gets to wait(Though I would likely let them assist on running encounters on the monster's side just to keep them involved in the current session/s).

Welcome to Lamentations Xid. There's no limitations in the main rules for when or how newly created chars rejoin the party. You could have them fall out of a dead monster's belly if you wanted.

I'm just looking to run a game that doesn't rely on character development addiction to run long term =-)

Last edited by Bluespruce786 (2013-06-28 15:28:31)

As of today, I have a new thing I do to characters that die.

Stamp their sheet with the Dead Sign! cool

That is just too cool Yuritau! Best I can do is put a giant red X across their sheet with a Crayola.