Topic: Your favorite all time monsters and how they translate to LotFP

Just curious what people have used int he past and how those translate to LotFP

Blue’s list:
10. metal master, a creature by Ed Greenwood that can manipulate magnetic fields. http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/conv … tureID=645
9. Executioners hood, from “Dungeonland”
8. Trolls, I just like trolls and bridges.
7. Illithid
6. Stone Dragon
5. Daemonix
4. Drider
3. Cave fisher
2. Eye of Fate by Zak S.
1.    Orcs
Those are my picks. I posted a youtube video that explains them more thoroughly if anyone wants to know why those monsters have worked for me. It is here -à http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEtXHAE … ature=plcp

Re: Your favorite all time monsters and how they translate to LotFP

If you do go and watch the Youtube vid could you write a quick response? It actually took me a lot of time to put together and I'm curious if its something worth doing or just a waste of time. Making video's i mean.

The Slender Man! There are some really awesome (fake) woodcarvings of The Slender Man. Usually he is a modern day creepypasta and faked urban legend but it can also be used in historical/fantasy settings.

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

Dude, where is the Beholder? It's creepy, weird AND deadly, the perfect monster for Weird RPG!!! yikes

I've thought about revising goblins/hobgoblins/bugbears/trolls as a singular species that live underground.  Goblins are the base species and are more or less sexless, and can create the "higher" species of goblinoids through a method of combining themselves.  For example, to create a hobgoblin, two goblins will crawl willingly into a pot of boiling muddy water, get boiled to death, and their "substances" mix to form a brand new hobgoblin.  If they wanted to create a bugbear, they would combine 4 goblins, etc.

I also thought about making goblins come from "statues" made from mud.  The idea is based off an idea I have heard where dwarfs all come from statues made from stone; the creation of goblins is a bastardization of the creation of dwarfs.

islan wrote:

I've thought about revising goblins/hobgoblins/bugbears/trolls as a singular species that live underground.

Reminds me a bit of the orcs of Harn, a.k.a. Gargun, and I won't attempt to do the accent marks.  There are five separate species (subspecies?) ranging from 3' to 4.5', each with different behavior and tactics.  There's no reason why the size differences can't be more dramatic.

Gargun have males and females, but they're eusocial: One ultra-macho king fertilizes one obese queen  The queen pops out large quantities of eggs, which are traditionally buried in dung to keep them warm.  The vast majority of males don't reproduce, which perhaps explains the rumors that they, um, defile female captives of other species.  The few females who aren't queens are kept separate from the males, otherwise a pair would start boinking and become a new king and queen.  Externally virgin females are indistinguishable from males, and are just as fierce warriors if not more so.

There's also Warhammer 40K Orks who hatch from spores.  The first generation is the smallest kind of goblins to pave the way for the next largest, and so on until the hulking 7' Orks with East End accents.

It's your choice, but I've always preferred alien and disgusting biology to magic.

Last edited by fmitchell (2013-03-16 15:41:29)

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

I've always felt that the best monsters are those for whom the GM has built the most mystery and drama. 

As one example, goblins could be bland and uninteresting enemies, cannon fodder meant to fall before the player characters' swords.  Dozens of fantasy novels and game scenarios use them this way. 

On the other hand, someone who took their inspiration from legend and myth could wander far from this simple image, drawing upon the Germanic legend of the Erlkönig ("Alder King"), who carries off travelers or children to their deaths.   A spirit of death, his goblin servants might enchant folk, leading them to their doom.