Topic: DM organization

How do you keep your notes and source material organized during a game?

I have to write notes on a map. I know where NPC’s live and where events will happen, so if I write notes relating to those NPC’s or events directly on the map then I can find them whenever I need to. I did a youtube video about how I set up my game brifcase here Video Blog about DM organization.

If DM organizing is something that interests you or you have some good tips please post them, either here or on youtube, or both. I specifically could use some insights on incorporating digital storage into your “at the table” material. I’ve tried using my comp at the table a couple of times and the added burden of the PC interface was too distracting for me. So any advice there would be helpful.

Thanks for your time and input.

Re: DM organization

I love GM advice books/blogs/bits. My most recent purchase was "Never Unprepared" for DM/GM prep between sessions.

One of the tips mentioned was using EverNote which is a laptop, smart-phone, and tablet friendly application for keeping your notes on a remote location (the cloud) and accessible where ever there is Internet access available.

I still prefer a good paper notebook for my notes and have a book shelf devoted just to blank notebooks (which I don't recommend, seriously what's wrong with me?).

Others, I have heard make liberal use of index cards and have a box with notes on different NPCs, monsters, locations, events all tucked away and organized.

I am a big fan of the Index card for keeping track of magic items, character state, notes, and etc. Really, the key is to be comfortable and confident regardless of the method chosen. I am the same way with using laptops or other devices, they are just too distracting.

I have a notebook I use to keep track of things. usually the night before I'm going to run a session, I'll sit down and read through whatever scenario I'm using (even if I wrote it myself) and make a list of any and all skill checks/rolls of any kind that players can make at each location/step of the scenario, what they get for succeeding, what happens if they fail, etc. I'll also make a list of all encounters and traps and the like, with behavior notes for any monsters that I think need it. I'll look at the random encounter tables, if any, and flesh out any stats that might need it, so I don't have to on the fly. And if I think there's room for it, or a high likelihood of the players going off book, I'll prep a couple monsters using the Random Esoteric Creature Generator as filler.

After doing all that, I can usually spend most of my GM time having fun with/against/chasing/running from the players, rather than looking things up or rolling stats etc. Usually. They are players though, and the curve ball is second nature to them.