Topic: Positive result from a bad review...

I'm new to RPG's, and have been researching (via free pdfs) all of the available "D&Desque"/retro-clone options, but until today wasn't sure in which product to invest. Then I read Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque's Review of Monolith Beyond Space and Time. I love that blog, and his Gothic Compendium of RPG material is fantastic. However, he bashed Monolith and I was shocked. After reading Mr Raggi's response to the review and then further commentary about Monolith from other sources... I've decided Lamentations of the Flame Princess is the game for me, and I can't wait to play Monolith (and all the other LotFP materials). It was the negative feedback (and understanding what made it misguided) that sealed the deal for me. I'll be buying the Grindhouse Edition as soon as possible.

Re: Positive result from a bad review...

He really was "cracking the sads" over the structure of the module.

He probably whinges when his character gets killed by traps to. Walks off mumbling about "player agency and the social contract." Suck it up buttercup!

James, keep up the good work. Your module make a damnsight more sense than "the Tomb of Horrors".

His criticism, to me boiled fdown to "It's not fair!". For all his subscription to "gothic horror" he did not get it that horror is not about "fair". In fact it is about the opposite, cosmic forces that transcend our petty notions of of justice. Our pathetic little moral rullers are not up to the task of spaning their terrible bulk.

As soon as you walk into that misty valley, you have bought your ticket and the conductor has punched it. All aboard! If you make it to the end of the train ride, count yourself lucky.

Last edited by Justin in Oz (2012-08-27 02:28:47)