Topic: What's your take on demi-humans ?

How do you portray the demi-human races in your fantasy world ?

I love the way Dwarves are described in Hammer of the Gods... But elves ?

To be quite frank the whole "Elves [...] enjoy living in the deep wilderness and adapting their homes to be in harmony with their surroundings" or "Once the epitome of enlightenment and responsibility" just doesn't cut it for me. It is not weird (in the weird fantasy sense). And the "hey look they are cannibals !" in Weird New World has not really convinced me as well.

So now the Elf class will be a "changeling" class as in Changeling : the Lost (text by C.W Richeson review on rpgnet, slightly modified) :

"A human, whether an infant or an adult, is whisked away to an Elven domain. There this ill fated person serves as a slave and a plaything, subject to the chaotic whims of the Elves. It’s a life of toil and horror, and it changes the human over time. The magic of the Elven lands and the new role this person has taken on change the body and the mind, so that this once human slowly becomes something new – a Changeling."

So elves are "ancient, fickle creatures that exist only to do whatever they think is fun at the moment" and changeling PCs are those that "managed to escape their Elven masters and flee back to the human realms"

I find this more in line with my interpretation of the Weird Fantasy tropes and the  source litterature.

Don't mess with the Faes !

As for Halflings... Well how did a race of midgets survived in a middle-age environnement ? For now there are no Halflings in my gaming group, I'll see to it when the the need arises.

What about your take on Elves, Dwarves and Halflings ?

Last edited by Kobayashi (2011-06-30 14:23:08)

Re: What's your take on demi-humans ?

I also use Changelings, though, in my case, they are actually Fey put in place of abducted Human infants and thus raised by Humans rather than escaped abducted infants. My City on the Ice-Choked Sea campaign also has no Dwarves or Halflings - only Humans and Changelings, and Changelings are partially outcast, so this setting is quite anthropocentric (which is as I like it).

EDIT: I'm actually thinking about allowing Dwarves in my City campaign as Elders - evolved Neanderthals who once ruled an empire in the now-frozen North, and now a dying race. What would you think about it?

Last edited by golan2072 (2011-06-30 16:19:46)

Any race that is described as dying gets a + in my book. But I love the "neanderthal" vibe. "You didn't get us all homo sapiens, now we're back to get you !" tongue

Well, I'm not 100% sure if they're dying, but at least they are WAAAY past their prime and their empire has fallen. They should be uncommon, but still around. And their social rank won't be high, to say the least - the local nobility considers them to be vermin and not everyone thinks they're Human.

Decision time: I have to decide which races to include in my world.

In a more tropical setting, I think I would've used lizard-men and serpent-men, as both of these races fit squrely into the sword & sorcery milieu. But since my setting is cold and icy, with some Norse and Slavic connotations, I think that I'll use the following races:

1) Humans. The vast majority.
2) Sea Blood (i.e. Deep One Hybrids), who belong to the big Noble Houses. I'm not sure if I'll let them be PCs, though; but they'd make great villains.
3) Changelings, who are Fey babies placed in cribs from which the Fey have abducted Human babies. They are essentially Fey, but raised by Humans, so they belong to both worlds. Use Elf stats as-is.
4) Elders/Dwergar. They are a dying race who once ruled a vast empire in the now-frozen North, evolved Neanderthals who moved deeper and deeper underground as the glaciers ate through their homeland. Use Dwarf stats as-is.

Anyone not Human (except for young Sea Blood who could pass as Humans) is subject to prejudice and, for the very least, a -2 penalty to Reaction when interacting with mainstream Humanity.

While I'm not that keen on "demi-humans", dropping them outright removes 3/7 of the available classes.

In the campaign I'm going to start Real Soon Now, no really, elves and dwarfs were once subjects of the Vanir Dominion, destroyed in a sudden catastrophe.  Scholars speculate that the Vanir were related to elves somehow, and perhaps dwarfs, but no Vanir survived.

The Vanir apparently had a caste system based on physiology and magical talent.  All Dwarfs occupied the worker caste, building underground palaces for their masters that none of their masters survived to occupy.  Theirs is an egalitarian society, for the most part, with each settlement choosing its own leaders (or rather, managers).  Their egalitarianism, unfortunately, does not extend to the sexes; their dropping birth rate has led to most clans forbidding females from heavy labor and venturing into the dangerous outside world.

Elves, on the other hand, retain castes: royals, nobles, envoys, wardens, and commons.  (The Elf class represents the envoys, the ones most likely seen outside Elf Realms.)  As a whole, the elf aristocracy are stuck in the past, turning ever inward to their own dwindling lands.  Wardens, guardians of the scattered and hidden Elf Lands, frequently attack strangers on sight ... even other elves.  The "commons" who in times past performed all the unglamorous chores that kept elf society running, become less and less distinguishable from the Wild Fae.

Halflings, possibly distantly related to humans or Dwarfs, mostly stay in their hills.  The Halfling Hills do not resemble the Shire so much as Fantasy Fucking Vietnam: traps to incapacitate or kill clumsy big folk, tunnels riddling the placid hills where halflings can move unseen, and diminutive, paranoid hunter-gatherers dressed in rabbit-skins and rough cloth.  Only a few halflings have left the hills under unusual circumstances, and they call only a very few Big Folk friends.

This post is longer than I intended, but, for the TL;DR folks, I've put all demi-humans in isolated areas, and attempted to subvert some of the usual tropes.  I could make Dwarf Freeholds, Elf Lands, and Halfling Hills disappear entirely without materially affecting the larger world.

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

fmitchell wrote:

Halflings, possibly distantly related to humans or Dwarfs, mostly stay in their hills.  The Halfling Hills do not resemble the Shire so much as Fantasy Fucking Vietnam: traps to incapacitate or kill clumsy big folk, tunnels riddling the placid hills where halflings can move unseen, and diminutive, paranoid hunter-gatherers dressed in rabbit-skins and rough cloth.  Only a few halflings have left the hills under unusual circumstances, and they call only a very few Big Folk friends.

I love this. Fantasy Fucking Vietnam!

I'm having halflings being descended from goblins; a more evolved race than their ancestors. Halfling keep this a closely guarded secret, and hate goblins.

I'm fine with the dwarf and elf as they are. For halflings, I like the goblinoid idea, where a halfling may have more or fewer features that betray their heritage, depending on how the player wants to go.

Regardless, they should alaways maintain that "outskirts of urban society" feel to them