Topic: Flavors of Fear: Weird Settings and Atmosphere for LotFP

Hello all, I've been writing up little two-page sketches of different "modes" of weird fantasy you might adopt for a LotFP campaign.  I've been posting them here: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?575 … Atmosphere

Each "mode" comes with setting ideas, over-arching themes, foes, and suggestions for soundtracks, reading and viewing lists, gaming inspirations, and weird historical/Fortean things you might want to riff off of for your game.

I've got about six more to write up; when I'm done with these "rough drafts" I'll give them some polish and collect them as a .pdf if anyone is interested.

Re: Flavors of Fear: Weird Settings and Atmosphere for LotFP

Also, I'd be happy to take suggestions on them.  What would you like to see?  What should be added to what I've already written up?

Nice job, I enjoyed those write-ups.  One of my upcoming projects is probably going to be a Weird Rome, and something like the Wall from Game of Thrones would be great as a Hadrian's Wall and your frozen north.

Over at my blog, I've been building out a campaign setting for a ruined alien city (inspired by At The Mountains of Madness) on an island in the frozen north, discovered by Vikings.  It's pretty weird, has some horror, but is still slanted more to adventure than horror.  But I do think LotFP could work for a stronger horror themed game, too.

I forgot, I had a similar idea recently about taking all the Lovecraft Country supplements from Chaosium and making a sandbox out of them - voila, instant weird fantasy setting (assuming we switched the time to the 16th cent):

Lovecraft Country for D&D

Beedo wrote:

Nice job, I enjoyed those write-ups.  One of my upcoming projects is probably going to be a Weird Rome, and something like the Wall from Game of Thrones would be great as a Hadrian's Wall and your frozen north.

Over at my blog, I've been building out a campaign setting for a ruined alien city (inspired by At The Mountains of Madness) on an island in the frozen north, discovered by Vikings.  It's pretty weird, has some horror, but is still slanted more to adventure than horror.  But I do think LotFP could work for a stronger horror themed game, too.

That is a bad-ass idea!

Could be interesting to add a section about what to do with the treasures you bring back to civilisation and those investments & propriety you buy. It a question I often ask myself.

GM: Labyrinth Lord. Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
Player: Looking forward trying Stars without number.