Topic: Firearms

Any word on guns in LotFP?

I read something a while back about a gun supplement for Weird Fantasy, has there been any more info on that? I was talking about gun powder on another forum, I think I decided what I want guns to do in my campaign.

my final post from that thread follows:

"Yeah that’s what I think is really cool about them. Its the package of; opportunity for over the top verbal and somatic description, area affect damage, knock back damage, shock and awe, morale checks, awesome new entries for the critical miss chart, and the critical hit chart come to think of it, money pit, and great opportunity for RP in instances where the villagers have never seen a firearm.

They will provide a lot of entertainment. The damage stats are almost irrelevant, If I need or want to increase damage there are easier ways to accomplish that i.e. poison, sharper harder metals, or alchemy.

Also they will be a nice counterpoint to magic. As time has gone on magic has become a smaller and smaller part of my milieu. This trend allows magic and its practitioners to be something strange, weigh points of unearthly and perhaps abhorrent powers scattered throughout the lands of normal.

And so, with firearms to help fill in that tactical gap, the practice of magic using can once again assume its rightful place as an illustration of the strange, a reminder that this place is not something that the players should make assumptions about.

I think I'm going to start fleshing out the rules and collecting some images. Thanks everyone for the feedback, some of my ideas should absolutely not be pursued. But from the conversation happening here I think this one may lead somewhere interesting."

If anyone has a good source for this material, a blog post or whatever that presents firearms along those lines I would love to get the link. As always thanks for your time.

Re: Firearms

If you're looking for a book that provides you with a base for real world development of gunpowder I don't think you can go wrong with Weapons and Warfare in Renaissance Europe: Gunpowder, Technology, and Tactics (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology by Bert S. Hall.

I read it and found it useful for creating out my own firearm rules as it discusses the changing of cavalry from the heavy lance to the utilisation of a brace of pistols. The development of gunpowder and how the changes in production actually gave rise to a weapon usable by a single individual instead of the hulking cannons that dominated the early history of gunpowder.

Another book which I just received and looks interesting, but I haven't read through yet, is The Artillery of the Dukes of Burgundy, 1363-1477 by Robert Douglas Smith and Kelly DeVries.

For some reason I can't explain, I can't shake this desire to run an American Civil War horror game using LotFP, hopefully with the new firearm rules.

Then again, this book could have something to do with it... http://www.amazon.com/Confederacy-Dead- … roduct_top

The LotFP firearms rules wouldn't work so well for US Civil War-era adventuring, as I'm just covering to the state-of-the-art of two hundred years earlier.

Ah well, I tried!

I don't know, if the new gun rules have anything to do with flintlocks at all it's a minor cosmetic to change that out for a caps gun. Then just increase the short/medium range with things like the minie ball.

Of course then things break down as you get into repeating rifles and the like. So I think early civil war firearms would be doable depending upon that first requirement.

Flintlocks will be covered, but as my research (and interest) ends before even bayonets are used, I'm assuming there have been multiple advances in firearms technology before the US Civil War comes around...

My own interest falters about the Napoleonic War so I understand that; but what little I know is that guns didn't go through much in the way of advancement tell the civil war, save the afore mentioned percussion cap which allowed the weapon to fire in wet conditions. Most weapons throughout the 19th century were still flintlocks or flintlocks converted to percussion caps.

Though I could be wrong.

I'll have to talk to a friend of mine that has far more of an interest in that era then I.

EDIT:

And my friend makes a fool out of me. On the development side of things, in addition to what's been stated, there is also the metallic cartridge which allowed for repeating weapons, the telescopic site and rifling became standard for firearms.

So yeah, that would make things more difficult then I had originally thought.

Last edited by Nihilistic_Impact (2012-12-04 22:12:43)

JimLotFP wrote:

Flintlocks will be covered, but as my research (and interest) ends before even bayonets are used, I'm assuming there have been multiple advances in firearms technology before the US Civil War comes around...

Very cool! Matchlock's just seem to have so many drawbacks that you would be better off with muscle driven weapons. Looking forward to that supplement.

So I finally got around to getting something printed up! If anyone has anything to add that may make these guns better in the game please leave a comment. Thanks. Powder is going to be expensive, like a short sword per shot. And characters are going to start out with max HP.

http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/bluespruce786/large/9c7c410954b158aa3af1caa88cb625c1.jpg?v=154800

Hmmm, that came out pretty small! I'll try and post a link to a bigger pic or get it put up here.

Hah! there we go! I kick ass at BBCode =-D

Dohhh! wrong image. wait a sec.

Time passes....

Last edited by Bluespruce786 (2012-12-12 22:44:56)

Has anyone found a good LotFP compatible set of rules or articles on firearms? I'm looking for something in the early modern era, circa mid-1700s - I'm looking for flintlock musket rules, in particular, for an adventure/supplement I'm planning to write.

There are firearms rules in the Rules & Magic hardback book. I'm not sure exactly how to get it though; as far as I understand it will be released for purchase when the new Referee book is also completed.

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

The new R&M hardcover is not in general distribution yet, that has to wait for the Ref book, but it is available from the LotFP webstore and direct retail partners (Sci-Fi Bokhandeln in Sweden, Noble Knight and Chuck-a-Con in the US, Sphärenmesiters Spiele in Germany, Chaos Comics in the UK, Fantasiapelit in Finland, Tesoros de la Marca del Este in Spain) right now.

Ngometamer wrote:

Has anyone found a good LotFP compatible set of rules or articles on firearms? I'm looking for something in the early modern era, circa mid-1700s - I'm looking for flintlock musket rules, in particular, for an adventure/supplement I'm planning to write.

I'm not sure how compatiable they are, as I haven't had time to read them yet, but Straycouches Press are offering a Firearms supplement for Swords & Wizardry on a Pay What You Want basis, so you could check it out for nowt and then throw them a few quid if you like what you see.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 … k-Firearms

edit: if for some reason you might be more interested in checking out the same thing for Dungeon Crawl Classics it'll cost ya three bucks.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 … nzine-no-8

Last edited by Cutter (2013-11-11 12:28:10)

You people are all alike, you march in here, young, try and touch the local things.
I suppose next you'll be spraying me with one of those cans of paint, smearing poor Tubbs here with excrement.

Well, there's my excuse for buying the hardcover! Thanks!