Topic: Lost Dweormer...lost?

While still going over the naw spells found within this game I went to look for the 9th level spell Lost Dweomer and noticed it wasn't in the spell descriptions. I am inclined to believe this was intentional, is this correct? If so my guess is that this spell is meant to represent one of the referee's own design. If I am incorrect then what does this spell do?

Re: Lost Dweormer...lost?

Pretty sure that specific dweomer was lost along the way... smile

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

It's not in the Grindhouse Edition either (which has the same 9th level spell list as the new hardcover). And in the older edition, it's not on the 9th level spell list.

I suspect, based on the style of Mr Raggi's previous writings, that there is no spell description because it is a Lost Dweomer. If it was a well known spell, you'd just call it Dweomer. Insert whatever legendary/mythical spell you want and just have it as part of the legends of ancient times in your campaign.

That was my thought.

More long distance roleplaying from James.

Here's a sample version of the Lost Dweomer spell if you want one.

Lost (Dweomer)
Magic-User Level 1
Duration: Instant
Range: Self
The caster immediately makes the least dangerous choice among two or more paths/choices. The caster immediately makes a Magic saving throw; if it succeeds, the spell is not forgotten and may be cast again. This may be done indefinitely.

[Spell side effect: Every time this spell is cast a random spell is removed from the caster's spell book. This effect is permanent and just hope that Read Magic wasn't one of the spells removed!]

Last edited by Lord Inar (2013-07-03 23:57:04)

It's on the list as a level 9 spell, so I would much rather have it be some legendarily powerful spell, that has also been lost to time.

I probably wont ever write an actual description or stat-block for the spell itself. Just seed a bunch of rumors and hearsay into the campaign that the party can find if they look hard enough.

Last edited by Yuritau (2013-07-04 02:44:16)

Yeah, but I think by 17th level, no Mage is going to fall for a trick like that. I'm following the "summon" paradigm here. Give them rope early on to hang themselves.

Oh, and it's also not the real Lost Dweomer, it's just another spell that some think is the great lost spell.