Topic: Summon spell destroying the campaign world?

Several times I have heard that the Summon spell can destroy the campaign world, and most recently I heard James himself say so.

I can NOT find that anywhere! It's a long spell description, so perhaps I'm missing the reference. Can anyone provide the quote? smile

Re: Summon spell destroying the campaign world?

Geoffrey wrote:

Several times I have heard that the Summon spell can destroy the campaign world, and most recently I heard James himself say so.

I can NOT find that anywhere! It's a long spell description, so perhaps I'm missing the reference. Can anyone provide the quote? smile

Some of the "Special Forms" that start on p 148 of the Grindhouse version could wreck a campaign world, depending on how far you take them.  If someone casts Summon in a major metropolitan area, any of these effects could decimate a neighborhood if not the whole city (as could a more conventional monster, actually).

#3 causes a local breakdown in logic, but it could well become global.  #4 might end all conflicts in the campaign area, leading to a story-ending peace or genocide at the hands of species not affected.  #5 causes irrational jealous rages and the birth of monsters.  In #6 an otherworldly entity bent on world domination possesses someone present; the entity suppresses all vestiges of will in other beings, even instincts of self-preservation and self-defense.

I'm sure the others have dire consequences that I haven't thought of yet.

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

Heck, even without a special form, if the monster wins the domination roll by 19 or more, then gets a 20 on the d20 roll, hey presto, you've got ~1000 hostile creatures of unspecified power level to deal with.

Was just reading over this spell. I can only say this, BEST SPELL EVER! Though confusing in parts.