Topic: HP charge to face horror

I run a game that flips from moderate combat focus to low combat horror. The different games have different requirements for healing and HP. More combat needs more healing, but lots of healing really hurts horror.

I don’t like the idea of turning healing off in scary situations. So I’m thinking of charging HP’s to perform actions that the characters might be scared to do; open a bleeding door, walk down a corridor that extinguishes all light, walk through a graveyard, or open a tomb. Just ways to force the extra HP’s and healing to get used up so the party feels low on resources as they approach the final encounter.

Has anyone actually tried this, or thought a bit about it?

Any comments or insights would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Re: HP charge to face horror

You could just limit their resources from the get-go instead of using HP as a gauge. Or introduce a sanity meter ala Cthulhu for the sake of the game, Hell, you could even continue to use the same skill system: Sanity starts at 5 in 6, every time you fail it the character refuses to perform the action AND the chance of success next time goes down by 1 (4 in 6, 3 in 6, etcetera). Succeed and the character performs the action. Succeed twice in a row and you gain back one lost point of Sanity (never let it go up to 6 in 6). If they ever fail a 1 in 6 they turn into a gibbering, useless wreck/go on a rampage/commit suicide/and so on.

Or, you know, just roll-play it instead of using gameplay mechanics.

I find using HP for dual purposes like that to be disingenuous, if only because most alternate uses can be either roleplayed or assigned to another stat/a new stat. If you wanna call your HP something else, like Stamina or Willpower, and say that injuries merely wick away at the character's will to continue on, that's awesome and I need to use that in a game.

Last edited by Borlte (2012-12-30 21:05:53)

You could also add 'fatigue points' to the game, perhaps saying that any hp above 3 are 'fatigue points' that represent endurance. So trauma can reduce hp if they are above 3, but not below. But adding Sanity is a more elegant mechanic. You could also rule (this is taken from a 3e splatbook) that horror means a save vs. poison or the PC is temporarily incvapacitated or nauseated.

sirravd wrote:

You could also rule (this is taken from a 3e splatbook) that horror means a save vs. poison or the PC is temporarily incapacitated or nauseated.

I'd build such a "horror/sanity countdown" off of Wisdom, perhaps ruling that the failed poison save comes with 1d3 points Wisdom damage.  As Wisdom reaches 0, the character is reduced to a deranged mess.

3.5's Unearthed Arcana had rules for using Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu Sanity system with D&D. It was the exact same system as CoC's and Wisdom was the basis for the amount of Sanity Points you started off with. I'd have to open my boxes to find the book and say how you could calculate it, but if you like the idea you know where to start looking! (It was completely unrelated to the 3.5 system beyond using Wisdom to calculate Sanity, and WFRP has it.)

Instead of sanity points that count down, why not have a madness score that build up?
Whenever madness exceeds any of your ability scores, take a -2 to that score and some sort of extra penalty.
When madness exceeds wisdom it screws up your perception of the world.
When madness exceeds intelligence it messes with your ability to organize your thoughts.
And when madness exceeds constitution you start suffering from psychosomatic illnesses.

As fun as I find such systems, especially for the games they were designed for... I think that when it comes to more D&D-like games, the WFRP books are correct, just make it scary and dangerous and you won't need a horror system for the characters to act scared or weird.

What healing rules do you use? First, I would trim those down to minimum; by-the-book, healing is a slow process. Second, I would definitely not add another element to the game (be it sanity points or madness meter or else); if you really want to have rules governing that aspect of the game, go with your original proposal and expand the use of HP to cover such actions (since HP covers everything from fatigue to morale to wounds, not much damage is done to the concept, I guess).

If you need some game mechanic rules to represent the horror the mood of the game isn't scary enough then. Instead of trying to think all these varieties of mechanics try to think how you could actually make the game more horrific.

Player characters don't have morality score for a purpose for example.

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com