Topic: 5 Minute Work Day

Is the 5 Minute work day an issue for anyone here? the guys over on the DDN sight argue about it all the time. I never even heard of the idea until I started looking at their discussions.

Re: 5 Minute Work Day

What is DDN?

Dungeons and Dragons Next. Its what they are calling 5th edition, which they are play-testing now and probably going to release in 2014.

here is their forum http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/v … Discussion

5 minute work day is a 3E phenomenon, where a group would enter the first room of the dungeon, blow all their powerful spells to destroy the encounter, and then leave.  It's only a problem when the dungeons are focused on combat, not exploration, but also got rid of things like wandering encounters.

Yes, that is exactly it Beedo. Have you ever actually seen that sort of "problem" at a game table? Makes no sense to me, but I think there is a large portion of the current player base that plays D&D very differently than I ever did.

My group has had that experience with very specific types of dungeon/module design. Return to the Tomb of Horrors being the best example. We also have one guy in the group that likes to invent dungeons that more of less require that play style, with boss-level encounters throughout.

Conversely, they did get pretty much all the way through Grinding Gear with only one rest, when the cleric played the organ, and rolled a 6. They earned a rest with that one! (best part: lvl 3 Magic User had 3 hit points left BEFORE the boom, but managed to roll two 20's and a 19)

I think in the near-ish future I'm going to give them a dungeon that has a whopping big encounter right up front (a mostly evenly matched encounter), and then drops off to easier stuff most of the rest of that way, until the Big Bad. Just to see if they fall for the cockiness trap!

Any system that requires you to rest overnight to recharge can be guilty of the "5 minute workday" so I think it's much older than 3E.

DDN actually has less of that because they have more "at will" powers, so they don't have to burn spells just to do something.
The opposite of the 5 minute workday is the prima donna effect, where the spellcasters don't cast anything because they don't want to have spent their spells when they might need it later in the day.

Wilderness and or slow exploratory adventures are less prone to this, but in classic dungeon crawls (expectations of lots of combat) it becomes an issue.

I haven't seen the 5-minute workday, but I have seen the prima donna effect.  Didn't really consider it much of a problem, though.

You know, I suspect the 5-minute workday is a symptom primarily of 3E just because spellcasters become so important in later levels.  In older D&D, you aren't so gimped when the mage runs out of spells.  Just my theory.

islan wrote:

You know, I suspect the 5-minute workday is a symptom primarily of 3E just because spellcasters become so important in later levels.  In older D&D, you aren't so gimped when the mage runs out of spells.  Just my theory.

Agreed.

Andrew S wrote:
islan wrote:

Agreed.

What level does that kick in at? I always seem to play below 14 so the high magic combat arena is kind of foreign to me.

Bluespruce786 wrote:

What level does that kick in at? I always seem to play below 14 so the high magic combat arena is kind of foreign to me.

I think it starts around level 7, as I've heard a lot of people play a version of 3E where the character level caps out at 6.

In my experience, the five-minute workday isn't really level-dependent (if anything it's almost more likely to come up at lower levels), or directly system-dependent. It's more of an attitude thing, players who decide to play a spell-caster and then expect to be able to cast spells whenever they want. I think that overall many modern players have bought into the idea that things like wandering monsters (and a lot of other old-school ideas) were just not any fun, and they got tossed without (it seems to me) much in the way of consideration for the effects of that removal. The five-minute-workday was just one example of this: everyone generally agreed that it was a bad thing, and there were pretty obvious ways to avoid it present in earlier editions, but no-one seemed to actually be willing to accept that putting time-pressure on the PCs (ie: wandering monsters) was really much more than a DM power-play.

Edit to add: Don't want to double-post, but I think I should mention that I did see a bit of the whole ''five-minute workday'' thing in AD&D back in the 70s and 80s. If the players (myself included - and I often played a M-U when I wasn't DMing) could get away with it they would totally fire off everything they had and then immediately rest back up. But at the same time you also saw a lot of situations where the casters would be very stingy with their spells, for fear of getting caught defenseless by a tough random encounter.

Last edited by kaomera (2012-12-19 05:35:35)

kaomera wrote:

Edit to add: Don't want to double-post, but I think I should mention that I did see a bit of the whole ''five-minute workday'' thing in AD&D back in the 70s and 80s. If the players (myself included - and I often played a M-U when I wasn't DMing) could get away with it they would totally fire off everything they had and then immediately rest back up. But at the same time you also saw a lot of situations where the casters would be very stingy with their spells, for fear of getting caught defenseless by a tough random encounter.

Yeah, that was kind of my memory of how it worked. The balance wasn't absolute and neither approach (cast and blast, or stingy) was dominant. I liked that game and thought that it worked well enough. The other thing for me though was I always enjoyed being the guy who watched behind the party or the character who was kept in reserve if something else showed up. So it didn't bother me to be without any "toys" during the game. It seems like a lot of the conversation now is about making sure that every player has something to do at every moment of play.

I need to go sit in on a game of 4rth or hell even 3rd and see how the third and fourth generation gamers do it. Hmmm Maybe it would be better to set up an open table in the store and play through Tower of the Star Gazer with whoever sat down!

One thing to keep in mind is that while the internet has increased the homogeneity of D&D play somewhat there is still some really significant variance from one playgroup to the next, regardless of edition / system. For all the talk of playing by RAW pretty much every game has it's own house-rules, one way or another. IME, what 3e and 4e have done (in small part) is to push the idea that the players should be at least partially in charge of what is and is not part of the game / which direction you go in, system-wise. Ideally that's a great thing, unfortunately some players end up nbot giving good thought to the implications of what they want. A big part of this, I think, is that a lot of players don't really want the responsibility of making such decisions, but they don't want to pass control back to the DM either. As a result they end up picking stuff up online / from magazines / from discussions with other players / etc. that may have worked great for the group that originally came up with it, but may or may not work out in your game.

One of my personal pet peeves is players who see something they're sure is cool in a supplement (especially problematic in 3e during the ''d20 boom'' when there might be a dozen or so third-party products of varying styles / types released in a given month...) but they can't actually express or just flat-out do not know how it's cool... Which ends up with me trying to take choices the player has made (that I may completely disagree with) and guess how to make them cool for that player.

This is one of the big reasons I like OGL stuff... Most of the people I play with are going to groan and roll their eyes if I whip out Lamentations or whatever, but they'll play and they'll expect me to tell them what the game is about / how it plays. I end up with more players dropping out because it doesn't do what they want it to, but we are at least on the same page.

I think you're right, it's probably a group-specific issue more than edition-specific.

And that's what random surprise encounters are for. Or allowing spell-casting to occur more often. Or removing mundane magic from your game. Or giving more of a downside to casting in general (not something that can be restored by resting, like stat drain).