Topic: 0-level death funnel?

Hey all, I've got quite a conundrum I'd like your input on. I've prepared an adventure for Lamentations of the Flame Princess and I'll post a question at the end:

The adventure starts with two warring clans in a mountain valley. The townsfolk have followed the bandits from across the hills that stole their sheep. The game starts with the bandits stopping at a watering hole with dozens of stolen livestock, where the townsfolk wait to ambush them. The PCs will be split across both sides of the fight:

The original plan was to give each player 3-4 0-level characters (2 players get bandits, 2 players get townfolk), and then have some extra NPCs on either side. So a fight starts one way or another, the sheep stampede, this causes a rift into the cavern below to open up in the valley floor, throwing everybody down into a huge underground chasm with an old temple to some horrid god creature in it. The characters wake up some hours later, amidst the dead/dying combatants and livestock, without much in the way of supplies.

So here's where I'm torn: should I try the 0-level death funnel where each player gets 3 or 4 characters to play, and at the end they choose one survivor to be their level 1 main character (like in Dungeon Crawl Classics), or I should I do a more traditional 1 1st level character to a player, with the other survivors being npc followers/henchmen? OR some other way to go about it?

Re: 0-level death funnel?

How will you account for the fact that some characters will be on sides that were just about to enter into pitched battle with each other?

My name is Ed Healy, and I am the Gamerati

The idea is that they'll probably have to work together to survive. Or not. Might just be some interesting roleplay.

I like the idea of the multiple 0-level PCs. I've seen it done before (at Origins by d20Pro, and it was fun. You might want to give each player a single 1st-level PC and 3 'minions', though. If the PC dies, they can always switch to a minion (who auto-levels). Should make for a fun first encounter.

My name is Ed Healy, and I am the Gamerati