Topic: Carcosa: Dice Convention need some help here

I downloaded the PDF and waiting for the book with glee.  Yet, I was looking at the example in the dice convention section and either I am just not understanding something or there is a misprint.

The example of Yogthag the 5th lvl. Sorcerer gets 5 HD.  He rolls a

Re: Carcosa: Dice Convention need some help here

Its a TYPO!

In the 2009 text the random table uses a ten-sided die, so rolling a
"7" gives a result of 10-sided die.  Pretend he rolled a "13".

Is it too late to fix the hard copies?
Now, what page are the publishing rituals?
Perhaps we can get the "how-to-skin-a-squirrel" back
into the "Joy of Cooking".

btw the forum widget threw away most of my entry.

Last edited by eldersprig (2011-12-18 07:38:27)

I've alerted the tech guy that the truncation issues are continuing on the board.

The books are printed and delivered and already on the Finnish store shelves at least, so not much to be done there.

Typos are the bane of everything, because there are no excuses for them, they seem so obvious when they are found so what the hell is wrong with everyone that looked for such things... yet they are inevitable and nobody, not big publisher, not small publisher, seems to be free of them. Sometimes I'm surprised everyone actually spells the titles of the books right on the cover, because when you get to those final stages you're suddenly so panicked that you've missed something glaringly obvious that the eyes are glazed over and it could say ACRCOSA on the cover and you won't see it. tongue

Thank you and sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick.  It is a GREAT book.  Beyond that small typo, it is phenomenal book.  Thank you so much for publishing it.

JimLotFP wrote:

I've alerted the tech guy that the truncation issues are continuing on the board.

I've removed the security question when posting, instead it will only be asked when registering a new account.

Please continue to report any problems you encounter in this thread.

--Mattias (the tech guy)

Somewhat tangentially, I worked out probability curves for the Carcosa Dice Convention at AnyDice.com.

If the URL doesn't show the script, here it is:

\Carcosa dice, from _Carcosa_ by Geoffrey McKinney (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)\

\output d{d4, d6, d8, d10, d12} named "1 die"\
output d{1:5, 2:5, 3:5, 4:5, 5:4, 6:4, 7:3, 8:3, 9:2, 10:2, 11, 12} named "1 die"

loop N over {2, 3, 5, 8} {
   output d{Nd4, Nd6, Nd8, Nd10, Nd12} named "[N] dice"
}

output 8d{d4, d6, d8, d10, d12} named "8 x 1 die"
Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France