Topic: Has anyone run the introductory adventure in the Grindhouse box?

I've bought the Grindhouse Edition and have even convinced my retroclone-phobic group to give it a try in a one off. I've already run Death Frost Doom under a different ruleset, I'm not fond of Grinding Gear and I'd save Hammers of the God for a full campaign, so the only LotFP-specific adventure I have left is the one on the boxed set.

Is it any good? Any tips for running it?

Re: Has anyone run the introductory adventure in the Grindhouse box?

A Stranger Storm?  I actually ran that for the first time (first LotFP game) last night.  It was a total TPK, and was fun as hell.  The "strange goings on" in it really made the players sit up and pay attention, and one player ended up having to play a villain, which she did to devious effect.  Definitely a hard one, though it is also possible to go from beginning to end without facing a single combat.

Last edited by islan (2011-11-07 04:45:18)

I ran it as well as a first LotFP game. 

They went from beginning to end without a single combat. 
And they only bypassed a bit in the part with Sir Boris (first loot, then more plot); so they were in the middle of the "stuff happening" for most of the adventure.
Which was strange, given their usual playstyles. (a psychopath + an over-cautious character + a suicidal character)

I would definitly recommend running it.
If I had a top 3 of favorite adventures, A Stranger Storm would be in it.

Though I wouldn't say it is LotFP-specific; I can easily imagine running this in any system or setting.

The only advice I can give you is: read through the adventure a couple of times, and just roll with it.

I ran through it last night and it went quite well, I thought. The party consisted of a fighter, a cleric and an elf, and the players got a lot of mileage out of the elf being strange and unusual; when the cleric busted out detect evil he was surprised to see the elf light up like a Christmas tree.

I was a little disappointed that the central hook of the adventure wasn't played to its full potential, as once the players guessed what they were dealing with, they figured out a good way of getting around the problem. As a result, we didn't get into much in the way of player-versus-player paranoia, which was a shame.

That said, they only had the one detect evil, so they were never sure who could be trusted right up to the end, and there was some debate amongst the players over whether to let Sir Boris do his deadly work. The fighter was reluctant as he'd fought Boris earlier and had been reduced to one hit point, but they decided to wade in anyway. The fighter was knocked out, so the player took control of Sister Carpenter, but Boris managed to behead the cleric before he was taken down.

One other interesting quirk of the adventure was that the players were reluctant to tell Father Naylor what was going on, so they never got to find out about the treasure the villains carried, and so cheated themselves out of the loot!

Last edited by kelvingreen (2012-05-12 10:23:42)

Tower of the Stargazer is also quite good, if you have it. I ran that as a one-shot with my (also) retroclone-phobic group, and it turned out well.

I'll vouch for Tower of the Stargazer as well, though I've not yet run it with Lamentations -- I converted it to Pathfinder for my regular group, which is still on the fence as to whether they want to try a retroclone.  It was a blast.