Topic: Can MUs cast spells above their level from scrolls?

I'm trying to understand the rules in a way that doesn't allow a loophole. On page 79 of the Grindhouse Edition, there's:

Scrolls are magical items which allow a Magic-User to cast a spell without prior memorization, even if the spell is of higher level than the Magic-User is able to cast.

Right away, this confuses me. If we remove some independent clauses, we get "Scrolls allow a Magic-User to cast a spell of a higher level than the Magic-User is able to cast." Of course, we can assume this means "of a higher level than the Magic-User is otherwise able to cast," but if we grant scrolls that power, then we get a loophole. From the next page:

A Magic-User may research spells of a higher level than he is able to cast and add them to his spellbook, but he may never prepare such spells. He may, however, write them on scrolls.

This means that a level 1 MU could, for example, research Minor Globe of Invulnerability, write it down in their book (from which they cannot cast it), then copy it to a scroll, from which they can cast it.

Am I thinking through this right?

Last edited by imd (2015-08-19 11:42:17)

Re: Can MUs cast spells above their level from scrolls?

This is not a bug, it's a feature. Nothing to see here, move along.