Topic: LotFP with a small group?

I typically play with quite a few people (due to RL concerns), in many cases just me (as the Referee/GM/DM) and my beloved spouse Hani (as the player). Therefore, I like games that allow for smaller-than-usual groups of players rather than the traditional 4-5 players plus Referee setup. I played BFRPG with just Hani as a player and an NPC sidekick (who kept relatively quiet and let Hani's PC take the lead and grab the spotlight, of course) - with great success, with her playing an M-U and enjoying the hell out of it (the NPC was a Cleric).

So, how amenable is LotFP to small groups? Is there anything I should observe when running a game for, say, just me and Hani?

Re: LotFP with a small group?

There wouldn't be any more problems running LotFP with a smaller group than any of the other simulacra or traditional games. the only issue is the less PCs there are, the more chance that "trouble" turns in to "TPK."

Thanks for the info.

To mitigate the risk of a TPK, I think I'll start the PC at level 3 rather than 1, and add a few henchmen/hirelings to the mix.

Last edited by golan2072 (2011-04-10 09:12:44)

Would the game work well with, say, 1 PC and 2-3 retainers/henchmen?

I run a game with my girlfriend as well. She created 5 characters, some of which managed to survive "Death Frost Doom". She liked the game so much I had to improvise another adventure on the spot.

So yes it works pretty well as long as the adventure is not too combat heavy I guess. Next time I'll run "No Dignity in death" for her, I'll keep you posted.