Topic: Class idea using Loyalty and Summon

Hello everybody.

I'm new to LotFP and to the classic style dungeon crawl games in general.  I played a little D&D in high school (3.5), but since then have been playing Gumshoe games and FATE games.

In any case, I have a question for those more familiar with the system.

I really like the concept of the Summon spell and the random generation of a creature you then have to control.  While going through the original rules, I was intrigued by the Loyalty mechanic and the use of Charisma as a method to help enforce this.

Swapping the typical domination rules, I would like to make a class that summons an individual creature and creates a pact/bond with that creature to maintain long-term control over it.  The creature would be randomly generated using the Summon spell or something else of GM's choice and the same hiring process for Retainers would be used for this creature (though probably with a different method of compensation).

The class would probably just grab the Magic-Users Exp, HP, and Saves and swap out spells for a bonus to Loyalty rolls that helps keep control.

The player could also save vs. magic to summon the creature to his current location or to attempt to banish the creature back to its home plane (perhaps modified by the creatures hit dice?).  This would allow the player to replace the creature as they play, but would keep the original method of randomly generating each time a new creature is acquired (and require the "hiring" process to be used each time).

What are your thoughts on this?  I know its a pretty rough concept, but I've enjoyed Summoner/Monster Trainer characters in different games in different settings and like the idea of the player having to manage a physical resource that might not be welcome in settlements or certain areas.

As a side note, I might up the magic in LotFP games a little bit and bring in more of the flashy magic if that helps make any determinations about this concept.

Re: Class idea using Loyalty and Summon

Pokémon in LotFP...

Dribbling Winkie Monstro...I choose you...?

You people are all alike, you march in here, young, try and touch the local things.
I suppose next you'll be spraying me with one of those cans of paint, smearing poor Tubbs here with excrement.

Pokemon is a poor choice thematically for LotFP, I'll admit.

This would be more along the lines of Faust and Mephistopholis or Prospero and Ariel/Caliban (depending on the interpretation of Caliban).

You might be trading away something significant to this entity and all your power would wrapped up in the bargain and the creature, rather than in your own character.  I could see bargains being made similar to the Drakengard videogame, with characters trading sight/voice/children away for the power to control this creature.  The Handlers (as I'm currently calling the class) might have more trouble with relating to other people, but could be pretty useful in a dungeon depending on the creature they have.

I thought that would create an interesting dynamic to the character's powers and would also give us someone with an explicit Charisma focus.

I planned on using Raggi's Esoteric Monster Generator for the Summon Creature, especially since it includes motivation for creatures and could help in determining the trade-offs in the initial bargain.

I could see, too, that a failed summoning/banishing of your creature could be the same result as casting summon again with an automatic failure on the domination roll.  The class could easily get itself killed, which I find exciting.

Last edited by hanick09 (2014-06-26 15:16:47)

I like your idea a lot.  It's probably the only new class I've seen suggested in a long time that I might actually use.  Right now I just use the base classes from LotFP (but Dwarf=Explorer, Halfling=Woodsman, and Elf=Dabbler).

I do use a title advancement system, and I do have something similar to this on that tree, but I like the idea of having a class that uses Charisma more...

Ok, here's what I've got so far.

Take the MU and hack off the spells.

Instead, the Handler receives a Loyalty bonus of +1/level.  This bonus applies to both the initial creation of the Loyalty rating roll (3d6 on Hiring Retainers chart) and also to Loyalty checks for their Minion.

The Minion is created randomly using a method of the GM's choosing (though the Handler's Player may provide options).  The Handler may declare the number of Hit Dice the Minion will have, but otherwise has no control over the creation process.

The Minion should be at least semi-sentient.  The method used to generate the Minion would preferably have a method for determining motivation/desires.  When the Minion is summoned, the GM and Handler will play out the bargaining process.  This is similar to the Hiring Retainer rules, except the following:
- The Minion is otherworldly and will likely want something unusual for payment.  The GM should consider how offers exceed or fall short and offer modifiers accordingly
- Charisma still modifies both rolls (though the Minion made during character creation should probably be an automatic hire unless the Handler's Player is asking to roll up a new character so soon)
- Minion is automatically long-term employment, but the bargain should discuss the exact level of participation that is expected of the minion.  This will help determine when to make Loyalty checks.

Minion Loyalty should be a major plot hook for the Handler.  The original terms of the bargain marks the line for the Minion and any attempt to push beyond the initial bargain will result in a Loyalty check.  Any attempt to stiff your Minion and pay less than the agreed amount should also result in an immediate Loyalty check.

Some examples of payment could be:
- Handler loses one of their senses or can only use this sense through the Minion (a blind Handler that can see what the Minion sees)
- Handler must give a significant portion of treasure claimed to the Minion.  The Minion does something with it that eliminates any possibility of using it (like eating it)
- Handler and Minion swap bodies for X hours per day. The Handler is unaware of the Minion's activities during this time
- Handler and Minion have a symbiotic relationship and the Minion may literally be attached to the body of the Handler. Whatever the circumstances, both feel any HP loss that the one takes and both suffer the effects of failed saves
- Minion is entitled to consume the bodies of the Handlers family.  All family.  The GM can make random checks to determine if particular NPCs are distant relatives or how many in a given town might be related.  Never allow something to be a one-time penalty

The Handler also has the following options:
- Save vs. Magic to summon the Minion to their current location or banish it to another location. Failure may cause the Handler to be summoned/banished instead or result in an immediate casting of Summon with automatic failure to dominate
- Save vs. Magic twice in a row to banish the Minion back to their otherworld and cancel the bargain.  Failure results in merely cancelling the bargain
- The Handler may only have one bargain at a time.  To summon a new Minion and create a bargain, the Handler must spend 24 hours in isolation and concentration to perform the ritual.  At the end of this 24 hours, they must then begin the bargaining process with the new Minion.  If they fail to hire the new Minion, results should probably follow the rules for a failed domination check on a summon.

Further thoughts:
- Should the Handler's saves be modified at all? And how should the Minions saves be generated?
- Should the Minion be able to gain levels or improve in some way?

Ideally, the high level Handler might be something like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tvI4o6ZuRwc/T … rand+3.jpg

I could see commanding via an object being a good bargain as well, as the Minion could passively or actively try prevent the Handler from having the object.

Don't know how much this lines up with your idea, but I think it might be useful.

Read here: http://gloomtrain.blogspot.com/2014/06/ … -thee.html

I like the warlock idea you posted.  I think I would still like to see Loyalty and Charisma play a role.  Maybe insttead of the reaction roll using a loyalty check?

And my Handler is having to worry about the constant presence of their Minion, an aspect I really liked.

I do like the Domain knowledge, though. That's really cool.