Topic: Combat casting and dangerous magic

I've seen references to combat casting and dangerous effects of failed arcane castings, but I can't seem to find any references in the Rules & Magic book. What am I missing?

Re: Combat casting and dangerous magic

In the Rules & Magic Book pages 57 and 58 there are rules for casting spells in combat.

Quote: Spells with an instantaneous or permanent duration take effect right away. All other spells take effect at the beginning of the next Round before Initiative rolls are made. If a character has taken any damage earlier in a Round, the character cannot cast a spell that Round.

Reading this makes it clear that if a spellcaster takes damage during a Round before they have taken their actions, then they cannot cast a spell. However, what about if: 1) they take damage because an enemy acts after then during a round (do they not get to cast on the next combat round) or 2) how does this apply to spells that take affect at the beginning of the next Round exactly?

For example: We use group initiative, the party goes first, the spellcaster casts a spell that will trigger at the beginning of next round. When the enemies go, they attack, hit, and damage the spellcaster. Does the spell still take affect at the beginning of next round?

Re: Combat casting and dangerous magic

I force spellcasters to declare spellcasting (and what spell they are casting) in the beginning of a round. They then spend the entire round casting- I find this makes things much clearer.

If they manage to make it through the round unhurt, the spell takes effect last in the round (or at the very beginning of the next round, the end result is the same).

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving