Topic: Official Character Sheet Survey

Am I correct in assuming few people use these parts of the current Official LotFP Character sheets? It's my experience that people tend write these things on index cards or separate pages.

Properties
Investments
Retainers
Spell stars

What info is missing from the current sheets that would be nice to have?

Re: Official Character Sheet Survey

There is no section for oversized equipment like shields and ten-foot poles. I usually put that stuff with a note in the unencumbering equipment section so I'm not sure what a big deal it is.

I like the spell stars but I'm not sure I'm using them correctly.

Properties and investments is useful as a cue to the players that they might try that as a way to get something out of all that treasure.

The stars can go for sure.
A little more space to write in weapons would be nice. A cool pice of art could be even better.

What about a 3 page sheet? Pushing retainers, properties and investments onto a 3rd sheet would allow the equipment list to widen enough for my list to be legible.  It could also have space for a spell list.

My fiddy cents:

1. The spell stars are fun but confusing, and a clearer presentation would be preferrable.
2. Properties and investments are better put on a separate paper, to my mind; they pop up later in the game, when the character has had a chance to develop (which happens once in a blue moon).
3. I'd love to keep a retainer section, but it should then be bigger; as it stands, we always have to keep separate records soon anyway.

I like keeping the sheets simple, and having the players make their own "extra sheets" for anything apart from the most essential, so basically my ideal sheet would just exclude the sections above and include a bit more space for spells.

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

I'd like a spell section (Right now I use Languages)

Lord Inar wrote:

I'd like a spell section (Right now I use Languages)

Hm, I'd rather have a separate "Grimoire" page, and indicate prepared spells with check marks (in pencil).  If there's extra space on page 2, maybe just a general "notes" section, ruled or not.

Otherwise, I agree with all the suggestions above.  So my ideal character sheet would have:

• Ability scores, modifiers, saving throws, attack bonuses, skills, Armor Class, HP, and combat options as is.

• Equipment, Languages, money, and encumbrance again pretty much as is.

• One or more of the the previous items (e.g. money and/or languages) moved to replace Retainers and the spell stars.

• A consolidated "notes" section on page two.

EDIT: I personally prefer to track stuff that changes often like current HP, money, and expended spells on a separate sheet of paper, or with tokens.  One nifty idea would be a page "one-and-a-half": a strip of paper with blanks for that stuff that lined up with maximum HP, spell lists, etc. that players could discard when it became unreadable.  But that might be too much to ask for a sheet of A4 paper.

Last edited by fmitchell (2013-06-20 07:11:24)

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

I agree mostly with the general consesus.

I think the best way to use the extra space is exactly that; as extra space. The sheets are a bit too condensed as they are, I think, and lots of space means room for notes and annotations, which tend to cover my players' sheets after a while. Also, some people's scribbles become illegible when they are forced to write on those tiny lines...

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

Folks wanting a separate spell sheet are welcome to use the one I made a while back.