Topic: LotFP: Paladins

I posted this over on rpg.net as well.

It's not a Paladin in the traditional D&D sense. I didn't want to give a Fighting-Man spells. But I wanted a Holy Warrior-type who could go out and do some stereotypical Paladin things. Well, mostly Smite "Evil".

The Aegis of Faith power was inspired by this anime a buddy of mine watches. In it they have these guys called "Defenders" who can plant their shield and protect their buddies. That's pretty much what it's meant to do. But I figure one of these guys can plant anything (a sword, a polearm) or heck just stand there and look mean or something.

I don't envision Paladins as being all that into the religious structure. Or even touched by the gods in that way that Clerics seem to be. I see them as either a highly specialized Fighter with a mystical bent (ala Jedi), the inheritors of some ancient fighting style (like the "Defenders" in that anime or Armigers in Iron Heroes) or maybe some poor schmoe that actually did cross paths with a god, like a Hexen or something.

Maybe they're part of a power structure that crumbled and they're desperately clinging to the old values -- like Ronin. Maybe they've just been given the power and opportunity to make right the wrongs they inflicted on the world (like Hexen or My Name is Earl).

Whatever the case, I'm certain that "Paladin" is the wrong word for them. But if I would have said "LotFP: Defender" I doubt anyone would have cared...

Level | XP | Hit Points | Smite Evil | Aegis of Faith
1 | 0 | 1d8 | 2/6, 2/day | 2/6
2 | 2,000 | +1d8 | -- | --
3 | 4,000 | +1d8 | -- | --
4 | 8,000 | +1d8 | 4/day | 3/6
5 | 16,000 | +1d8 | 3/6 | --
6 | 32,000 | +1d8 | -- | --
7 | 64,000 | +1d8 | 6/day | --
8 | 128,000 | +1d8 | -- | 4/6
9 | 256,000 | +1d8 | 4/6 | --
10 | 384,000 | +2* | -- | --
11 | 512,000 | +2* | -- | --
12 | 640,000 | +2* | -- | 5/6
13+ | 128,000/lvl | +2*/lvl | --

Paladins get Parry at AC +4, Press and Defensive Fighting.

Smite Evil works just like Sneak Attack, except the Paladin can turn it on at will against an evil opponent a certain number of times per day. The Paladin must announce he will be using "Smite Evil" before rolling the attack. Yes, a missed attack uses up one of your Smite Evils for the day.

Aegis of Faith is also a skill. The Paladin can forego an attack in a round and use his Aegis of Faith. With a successful skill roll, all "evil" enemies take a penalty to their attack rolls against the Paladin and any of his allies a within 10' semicircle of the Paladin.

Think of the Paladin as the "line of scrimmage". All those who advance in front of him or outside the 10' semicircle lose the protection of the Aegis. Those who remain beside him or behind him stay protected.

This magical effect has no duration. It lasts a single round. The Paladin can continue to hold his Aegis of Faith by re-rolling the skill in subsequent turns but he will not be able to make a second Aegis roll in any combat in which he fails an Aegis skill roll.

For both abilities, "evil" is defined by the same criteria as found in the "Protection From Evil" spell.

Saving Throws
Level: Paralyze | Poison | Breath Weapon | Magical Device | Magic
1-4: 14 | 11 | 15 | 13 | 15
5-8: 12 | 9 | 13 | 11 | 13
9-12: 10 | 7 | 11 | 9 | 10
13-16: 8 | 4 | 7 | 7 | 7
17+: 6 | 3 | 5 | 4 | 6