Topic: Anybody do anything with Nat 20 rolls?

The good ol' critical hit.  So many things to do with, including the option to do nothing at all.  I am particularly favorable to the notion of "automatic hit regardless of AC" being the bare minimum for my games, if just to keep things moving.  For future LotFP games, I am considering implementing, in addition to auto-hit, a single, extra attack (without modifiers from Charge or Press) being granted when a natural 20 is rolled.

What are you doing with them, if anything?

Re: Anybody do anything with Nat 20 rolls?

We grant an automatic hit for maximum damage on a 20 and an automatic miss with -2 to the next attack roll on a 1.

Last edited by Andrew S (2012-12-17 19:25:05)

We just do max damage on a "20" as well; double damage has been just too rough.

I use the tables from GDF#5 in my games.

I usually do full damage plus a roll, so there is some benefit to rolling a natural 20 that doesn't also come from just being lucky with a damage roll, or if I'm running a game for tactically-minded players a natural 20 is an advantageous hit, severs a limb or gives a free swing or something. Natural 1's usually get turned into fumbles, dropped weapon or a free hit from being off-balance or something. Raggi, I don't normally like the kinds of charts like the one in GDF 5 because many of the results are a little too meta for my tastes; the result has, generally, nothing to do with what the character actually did, it's just a seemingly-arbitrary reward/penalty. That and the last entry on the natural 20 table is cut off.

Yep. Either choose double damage or roll the revised card based on GDF#5. There's also natural 1. Roll GDF#5 or take a penalty that opponent can immediately counter attack you.

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

Hi all, what does GDF#5 stand for?

It means Green Devil Face, issue number five. It's magazine-type thing.

I think I'm going to give the Green Devil Face #5 criticals and fumbles a try though I am going to modify some of them.  They look really chaotic and I like that.

“There have been times when only a hair's-breadth has intervened betwixt myself and the seething devil-ridden world of madness; for the hideous knowledge, the horror-blackened memories which I have carried so long, were never meant to be borne by the human intellect. ” ― Clark Ashton Smith