Topic: New Skills: Healing, Appraisal, Persuasion

While I'm procrastinating an already late term paper, I thought I'd throw out a couple more candidate house rules.  I'm sure someone has done something similar; I'm sure I saw another Healing/Heal/Chirurgy/etc. skill.

------------------
APPRAISAL

Upon a successful skill roll, the character can gauge the approximate value of an item.  The Referee need not specify the exact value, but at least the order of magnitude should be right.  This skill cannot take into account invisible or undetectable properties of an item, like magic or historical significance.

HEALING

This skill represents mundane healing arts.  It has three uses:

1. Binding Wounds: After a battle, a character may use this skill on himself or another to regain a number of hit points equal to the value of the die roll, or half the number of hit points lost during the battle, whichever is smaller.

2. First Aid: If a character has gone below 0 HP (but not lower than -3 HP) in the previous round, a successful Healing roll gives the character a second chance.  The dying character may make a Save vs. Death to stabilize, with a penalty equal to the number of hit points below 0.  If that saving roll succeeds, the character's hit points reset to 0.  First Aid can also save the life of a character dying from poison, drowning, or other familiar and natural causes.

3. Long-Term Care: If a character with the Healing skill attends a wounded character in clean, safe surroundings with easy access to medical supplies, multiply the wounded character's healing rate by the healer's Healing skill value.  A healer can attend multiple characters, although each additional patient reduces the multiplier by one.

PERSUASION

If a character has a chance to talk to NPCs for several minutes and knows the NPCs' language, he can test his Persuasion skill.  If the skill test succeeds, the NPC's reaction roll increases by 1d3.  The Referee may increase a character's effective Persuasion skill if the PLAYER provides a convincing or at least entertaining performance.  This skill cannot be used against an NPC who is already attacking.

------------

Healing seems like an essential skill if the party has no Cleric, but I worry it's a bit overpowered and overloaded.  If someone can point me at other versions, I'd appreciate it.

I'd also like to do something like Knowledge or Lore skills, but they could proliferate outrageously.  Perhaps a single Education skill would suffice.  If successful, the player could know an obscure but pertinent fact, discover a clue, or make a Cliff-Clavin-esque pronouncement about the game world and have it actually be true (subject to Referee approval).  "Oh, yes, this is clearly a van Ooms masterpiece from his mauve period."

Alternatively, the Education skill might represent the number of times a character can show off his erudition in this way, a la Investigative Skills in the GUMSHOE system.  If a character spends that last point, maybe anything he thinks he knows about the game world can be wrong, retroactively.  "Cat?  What's a cat?"

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

Re: New Skills: Healing, Appraisal, Persuasion

I've considered using a version of healing (called medicine), with a successful check meaning an injured recipent regains their level in hit points (1 for level 0 NPCs). Patients can benefit from this a maximum of once per day. The rest of the time the skill is used for diagnosis and the identification of herbs and such.

Another skill, commerce, is similar to your appraisal, but also includes weights and measures, recognising forgeries, craftsman's stamps and such.

We use a bind wounds house rule of 0-3 HP back after a battle (d4 -1), and all characters can do a bit of first aid.  It captures a touch of "second wind" from the 4E days.  I like it for a dungeon crawl game, when using LOTFP for a combat heavy game, but would yank it out for playing a purer horror-themed LOTFP game.

Technically, the intellegence score represents the education of a character so any knowledge roll can use that.

I have implemented the "Lore" skill in my game, mostly due to a lot of demand from my players. I sometimes allow the Int modifier to be applied, but only when conventional education can be of help. Also, I have given each class a realm of "associated knowledge" where they gain a bonus to Lore rolls - most often +1 - such as religions for Clerics, wars and weapons for Fighters and so on.

The advantage to using this as a skill is it gives the opportunity for a certain player (one of my regulars) to play a "sage" type character. The Lore rolls rarely give any mechanical advantages, and to be fair rarely any other advantages, but it lets him ramble on forever about cool background for my adventures and generally annoy the other players...

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving