Topic: Urban Xp Trigger

One of the things that I really like in LotFP is the trigger for Xp award. The part where you get it when you bring back treasure from uncivilised parts to a civilised area. This brings the focus of the game to "exploring the unknown".

With the publication of Vornheim (and the recent urban/suburban stuff), the civilised realm has been opened up for "adventure".

This brings me to my question, what triggers the granting of Xp for loot? I am tending to think, when you sell it and convert it to coin. Or after it clears hock at the three golden spheres.

What do you guys think?

Should it revert to something meta gamey and just be at the end of the session? I am less jazzed by this one.

Re: Urban Xp Trigger

The OD&D game I play in grants XP when you spend your loot. That seems like it would work here.

When characters are basically in safe place and can remove the loot from their inventory it's exp. It can be sold, spent in pubs, or stored in own treasury. Or can be carried around naturally if the characters have visited a safe place where the loot has been "safe".

I guess.

But meh, I think I am lazy giving exp when the loot is "found". I don't have to account when the 1000 worth of loot can be "traded" to exp. Too much work. So basically exp reward is when you find the loot and basically can obtain it. Seeing a diamond is not exp worth but obtaining the diamond is.

What if character gains the exp when he gets the diamond in his pocket but later looses it? He still has the exp for finding and obtaining the diamond but he naturally doesn't get silver anymore for selling it because he lost it. The experience of finding and obtaining the diamond is still in character's memory/experience/exp points but it is not worth cash anymore.

Basically finding loot has two benefices:
1. Experience points
2. Money

You get either both, only experience (if you loose it) or neither (can't get your hands on it).

Last edited by Thaumiel_Nerub (2012-11-02 09:37:07)

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

Thanks heaps for all the ideas guys. I really like the "Treasure is calculated for XP only after it has
been returned to a secure location." part of LotFP.

I am going to use the trigger of spending the cash as the trigger for when the gains are accrued. I am not going to go into the idea of "class appropriate" spending, nor am I going to go into acquiring as separate from spending. Both are a bit too tricky to be worth going into.

I like the idea that if you don't spend it you get nothing. That is if you acquire it but some grubby hobbit robs you before you get back to the pawnshop, you had better track down the little bugger fast. This leads to more adventure and a bit of tense desperation after the adventure is "over".