Topic: Does Race affect Movement?

Does Race (Well, I guess I should say 'Class' in this case) affect a character's Movement? I've looked around and don't seem to have found anything about that... Am I missing something, or are Halfling and Dwarves as quick as the other races in this game?

Re: Does Race affect Movement?

As far as I know movement is all about encumbrance. It is more important how much treasure you are ready to sacrifice to run away. Greedy dies more easily.

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

Thaumiel_Nerub wrote:

As far as I know movement is all about encumbrance. It is more important how much treasure you are ready to sacrifice to run away. Greedy dies more easily.

I'm not against it, after all they do say Halfling are 'quick' and Dwarfs are not that much smaller than humans... But it does 'feel' weird! xD

Hey, if anything, Dwarfs would actually be the fastest in this game, given that whole encumbrance matter. Dwarfs are faster than Elves. I need a moment to let this sink in! o_O

Some monsters might have different movement speeds. Because loot is really important factor experience wise the movement rate is affected propably the most because of it?

You could give halflings a bonus though. For example if movement rate is equal to all the characters halfling would be the last option monster to catch? This way halfling would be always few running steps ahead + it could meta gaming also mean the smaller size. It's harder to catch generally.

Dwarves are sturdy so they can carry more what affects movement penalties in more generous way.

I personally was thinking some time ago why movement is not affected by race and attributes but then I thought what the heck this means less book keeping!

If you start to modify movements, then you start to think why attributes don't affect skills etc. etc.

LotFP is ment to be simple game to run by the rules. It doesn't matter what characters can do but what they do (like Raggi has stated). I like to keep LotFP simple!

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

Thaumiel_Nerub wrote:

Some monsters might have different movement speeds. Because loot is really important factor experience wise the movement rate is affected propably the most because of it?

You could give halflings a bonus though. For example if movement rate is equal to all the characters halfling would be the last option monster to catch? This way halfling would be always few running steps ahead + it could meta gaming also mean the smaller size. It's harder to catch generally.

Dwarves are sturdy so they can carry more what affects movement penalties in more generous way.

I personally was thinking some time ago why movement is not affected by race and attributes but then I thought what the heck this means less book keeping!

If you start to modify movements, then you start to think why attributes don't affect skills etc. etc.

LotFP is ment to be simple game to run by the rules. It doesn't matter what characters can do but what they do (like Raggi has stated). I like to keep LotFP simple!

Yeah, I've no intention to mess with that, I just wanted to double-check. Halflings already have good saves and better AC, that makes them 'hard to catch' enough! tongue