Topic: Supporting OSR Products for LotFP?

Just wanted to know what others were using alongside their LotFP products.  Swords and Wizardy?  Labyrinth Lord?

I've found a lot of ideas to be had from the "other" Weird Fantasy OSR game - Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea.    http://www.swordsmen-and-sorcerers.com/

Although the designers sentiments are more fantastical/"Clark Ashton Smithian" than Raggi's tilt toward the Lovecraftian, it does contain a lot of ideas to be mined or used in the Hyperborea gazzeter.

Re: Supporting OSR Products for LotFP?

I run Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures for my group & convert the Weird Fantasy modules for use with the DCC rules.

babylonia wrote:

I run Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures for my group & convert the Weird Fantasy modules for use with the DCC rules.

Ahh, how is the different system going?

Not too bad. I've plenty of DCC modules with stats for monsters, so that helps with converting the Weird Fantasy versions. I've run Tower of the Stargazer & the vast majority of the adventure stayed the same. The Stargazer was a 5th level wizard I created. 5th level is quite high in DCC. The stats in Weird Fantasy & DCC play second fiddle to the story/adventure, which makes conversion simpler. They also share some of the same sensibilities. DCC is quite Gonzo.

Last edited by babylonia (2012-09-29 00:53:01)

In the "this is heretical and horrifying to pretty much everybody" category, I'm just about to embark on running Death Frost Doom using the new D&D next playtest rules!

Actually I've started out with the first adventure in "No Dignity in Death" using Pembrooktonshire as the town at the bottom of the hill. They got there because the elf wanted to find any remnants of the Death Dragonmark and they have heard that it is here. (The symbol makes a nice Dragonmark!)

Without giving too much away, they haven't started DFD yet and are still in Pembrooktonshire. The knight has accused the elf of being part of the murder along with the gypsies and is now in jail along with the party's dwarf (who is held in curiously high esteem in the town).

They're currently 4th level so I've had to stat up the Knight etc. for the eventual confrontation using D&D Next rules, but it's been fun and the descriptions of the characters make it pretty easy.

Last edited by Lord Inar (2012-11-20 20:24:09)

Lord Inar wrote:

In the "this is heretical and horrifying to pretty much everybody" category, I'm just about to embark on running Death Frost Doom using the new D&D next playtest rules!

Gutsy! I'm actually with you here though (and I am a complete and total coward!!!) I like DDN. I think they are going to put out a product that can be used by gamers along the whole spectrum of rules complexity.
Will I buy it? idk My kids are 2 and 3.5 now and I want a game to introduce them to the hobby. That is the main reason I am considering DDN. But I just got LotFP (Deluxe edition smile in the mail 2 days ago and I love it. I read a review that said the artwork was too explicit, but I havn't found it to be so, and I can always print out the pdf and have the kids draw their own pictures on that.

Re what im pairing with LotFP; I'm just going to mash it into my homebrew world. I think I'm going to use Lamentations for the new base (I have had GURPS, BD&D, AD&D, and Hackmaster and that very odd 7 weeks when it was gamma world) as base rules thusfar)

Last edited by Bluespruce786 (2012-11-20 21:46:14)

Bluespruce786 wrote:

But I just got LotFP (Deluxe edition smile in the mail 2 days ago and I love it. I read a review that said the artwork was too explicit, but I havn't found it to be so, and I can always print out the pdf and have the kids draw their own pictures on that.

The art warnings are about the Grindhouse Edition, and of course Death Love Doom. And in those cases, they are legitimate warnings.

Realms of Crawling Chaos, the LL Lovecraftian supplement, is excellent supporting material for a LOTFP game.  The other things I tend to reference are the Moldvay BX editions for common critters.

Yuritau wrote:
Bluespruce786 wrote:

But I just got LotFP (Deluxe edition smile in the mail 2 days ago and I love it. I read a review that said the artwork was too explicit, but I havn't found it to be so, and I can always print out the pdf and have the kids draw their own pictures on that.

The art warnings are about the Grindhouse Edition, and of course Death Love Doom. And in those cases, they are legitimate warnings.

So Deluxe isn't that bloody and rotten in art then?

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

Thaumiel_Nerub wrote:
Yuritau wrote:
Bluespruce786 wrote:

So Deluxe isn't that bloody and rotten in art then?

Never actually seen the art in the Deluxe version, myself, but I haven't heard anything about it being anywhere close to the grindhouse version.

Bluespruce786 wrote:
Lord Inar wrote:

Gutsy! I'm actually with you here though (and I am a complete and total coward!!!) I like DDN.

Thanks!

Quick recap, the No Dignity in Death part went very well with only two short combats. It was pretty easy to do the conversion and run the adventure, although I will say that anyone who wants to run NDiD should get the People of Pembrooktonshire supplement as well. It provided a great deal of local color for the adventure.