Re: Can Someone Walk Me Through Rolling Up a Summoned Entity?

Here is my most up to date version of the Spreadsheet for those that are interested.
Undiscovered bugs aside, I believe this version is 100% compliant with the LOTFP Rules as written with the exception of the tie on Domination Rule that I made up, and that there are only 6 slots for Appendages and Powers (that doesn't stop someone from using this to determine more)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8yw839shi47ye82

password is still lotfp

James, right now the only way to get the base forms from 13 to 20 is to fail your Magic Save. As a Magic User increases in level his chances of Summoning some of the coolest things diminish greatly, because of his improving Magic Resistance. The solution to this problem seems to be the last paragraph of the spell description which says:

"Summon spells to call specific beings can be researched (or discovered). They will be first level spells but must be research as if they were a level equal to the summoned creature's Hit Dice + Number of Powers."

You've said you are going to be reworking this section a bit for the new printing. I would be glad to see some change here that would not make more powerful Magic Users less capable of summoning these neat things.

I would rather see an increase in the variety of things a Magic User could summon as he leveled, including the "OMG HE ROLLED A 20" ones. Rather than a decrease in that variety as you level.

Also, when rolling powers, if you failed your magic save, if you roll the max number for your Base Number on whichever die you have to use, you automatically fail Domination, because the creature will have an infinite number of powers.

Maybe the die you Roll to determine the base form increases in sides as you level?

Last edited by Glipkerio (2012-07-20 23:44:02)

Glipkerio thanks for the feedback. I've made those two fixes. I need to write tests to make sure it's working properly, but that's less fun.

Rolled up this result on the site.

Blood Demon
You rolled a 27 vs 14 when trying to Save vs. Magic. You summoned a Blood demon with the following appendages: Slimy Spine.

It looks like you are adding the Sacrifice and Circle bonuses to the Magic Save. That's not what the rules call for. It's just a straight Magic Save with no Bonuses to determine the Die you Roll to Determine the Basic Form.

funkaoshi, it seems every domination result starts with:

"You domination check was a 8 vs. the creature's 18."

instead of "Your domination check..."

General question: When you roll the Save Against Magic at the beginning of the summoning sequence, do you add your INT modifier? INT is for saves against all magic, according to the main entry.

And, if so, funkaoshi, can you modify your roller for that effect?

I'm loving this spell but I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around $. Imaginary Equation, Incorrect yet True. I imagine the effect was worded this way on purpose but what does "To act player must roll dice not his own, multiple dice only multiple owners, roll unimportant just pile of dice with most owners wins. Count sideways, subtract behind. No decision = no action." mean? Whoever has the most dice wins? either way still awesome! Best Spell Ever!

Xid wrote:

I'm loving this spell but I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around $. Imaginary Equation, Incorrect yet True. I imagine the effect was worded this way on purpose but what does "To act player must roll dice not his own, multiple dice only multiple owners, roll unimportant just pile of dice with most owners wins. Count sideways, subtract behind. No decision = no action." mean? Whoever has the most dice wins? either way still awesome! Best Spell Ever!

I would love to see an official answer on the Imaginary Equation entity. But to me it means that the world is wrong because the summoner has the equation in her head and it overwhelms her thoughts. She tries to show people her new found truth but speaks nonsense like the quote above. She may be able to get the equation into someone else's brain and must do so before she falls asleep or she dies.

The whole point is that it's completely insane. That said, you can extract the effects pretty easily..

You have to steal dice from your fellow players and roll them to act; the one who has the pile with the most owners (not the best results) succeeds.
Every action triggers a random spell of  the 1d4th level.
All targets for all actions taken by Neutral and Chaotic characters are determined randomly, AFTER rolling the dice.
Lawful party members are immune to the effects; you either have to kill them, or (possibly) they may be able to do something to force the effect to end.
The next character to sleep dies instantly. Since "Sleep" is one of those random spells that can be cast.. well, it'd be hilarious if everyone in the party got hit with it simultaneously, is what I'm saying.