Topic: Heads Up, Guys

The next IndieGoGo campaign, which I hope to have up in the next couple weeks, is going to be huge.

$7,000 basic goal to get the Rules & Magic book into hardcover.

But you'll want to pick the $110 level of contribution.

Seriously.

I've got bonus goals that will stretch to over $100,000, and the bonus items get added to the $110 level automatically as they are reached.

We're talking potentially 25 books for that $110 -- including shipping. The more people contribute (and the more money they contribute) the more everyone gets.

(The Finnish post office charges the same for a package weighing 2001g as it does 4999g, so might as well take advantage of that, right?).

... and I still have a couple names that need to get back to me about their availability, but the lineup I already have for the bonus items include adventures by the biggest names gaming has ever seen.

(Regrettably my attempts to get big-name not-RPG authors fell through - the ones that were interested couldn't commit to writing an adventure by the end of July, which would be necessary if I want all this stuff mailed by the end of the year... but I guess they wouldn't be big-name authors if they weren't busy, right?)

So beg, borrow, and steal that $110 and get ready because none of it gets made without being funded first.

More soon.

Re: Heads Up, Guys

Well you can go ahead and assume a starting point of $110 then. Cause I'll be grabbing that perk (at least) as soon as the campaign is up!

Obvious and a bit stupid question, is this the LotFP Weird Fantasy Role-Playing Grindhouse Edition rules? Can people smack hard euros to your hand or like bank account instead of going through IndieGoGo that is wigging me out with their flexible fundings and dollars and that sort of foreign stuff?

Last edited by MutieMoe (2012-04-11 14:44:39)

MutieMoe wrote:

Obvious and a bit stupid question, is this the LotFP Weird Fantasy Role-Playing Grindhouse Edition rules? Can people smack hard euros to your hand or like bank account instead of going through IndieGoGo that is wigging me out with their flexible fundings and dollars and that sort of foreign stuff?

It's for the Rules & Magic portion of the Grindhouse Edition, yeah.

As far as alternate methods of funding... it's complicated.

I mean, anyone could just hold an independent, non-IndieGoGo (or non-Kickstarter) crowdfunding campaign by taking payments directly.

But I'm betting there's a good reason that people don't. Established crowdfunding sites have the publicity factor going for them, and that's a huge deal - especially since with this one I'm going for a more mainstream crowd and not just the die-hards.

There's also the impression of legitimacy. "I'm doing a crowdfunding project through an established crowdfunding site!" gives a better impression than say just doing it through my store. (the ease of refunds/not being charged if the basic goal isn't met would be a minor nightmare to do manually...)

Taking "private" contributions while also doing the IndieGoGo campaign might be complicated as well. There is the chance that the total amount taken would push past the basic goal but the campaign fails overall because the IndieGoGo portion wouldn't reach the minimum there, so all those contributions would be automatically refunded.

... and even if it's wildly successful, it would be a PR problem to try to explain that "Oh, five bonus goals have already been met!" when the IndieGoGo take might only show two being met at the time.

Plus there are different tax implications between getting paid by IndieGoGo and getting individual payments from people.

Plus if I have "private" contributions in Euros at the same time the IndieGoGo is in dollars, that exchange rate is not going to stay constant throughout the campaign. In fact, sometimes the exchange rate swings so much in just a week or two I could easily see some people (or LOTS if this is as popular as I hope it is) wanting refunds from one side so they can pay in the other because it's significantly cheaper to do so.

Plus doing so might be against the terms of service of their site, and I wouldn't do it if I couldn't publicize it.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I think I got it.

Is there any chance you'll be doing a crowd funding project to get Death Frost Doom back into print? Is that a possibility as a stretch goal?

I'm only asking because any time someone on G+ says, "My group is bored. What should I run?" a tonne of people always respond with Death Frost Doom. It would be nice to have this legendary piece of OSR gold available in hard copy.

David wrote:

Is there any chance you'll be doing a crowd funding project to get Death Frost Doom back into print? Is that a possibility as a stretch goal?

It is a stretch goal (as is the other out of print material), but those are at the very end of the line. I'm not so crazy as to truly expect to draw $100,000 or so from this... but there are stretch goals covering that amount of money. smile

What about the referee book and "recommended reading" section (IIRC that was in the tutorial book) from the Grindhouse Edition? It seems to me like all three of those would fit nicely in one hardcover and be a nice single book to carry around.

untimately wrote:

What about the referee book and "recommended reading" section (IIRC that was in the tutorial book) from the Grindhouse Edition? It seems to me like all three of those would fit nicely in one hardcover and be a nice single book to carry around.

The Referee book in hardcover is also a stretch goal.

I'll avoid one-book solutions though - another stretch goal will be separating the Rules and Magic into two separate hardcovers.

11 names confirmed.

4 still to respond. I believe I'll get at least 2 of them. We'll see.

If the plan is to make it look as nice as the Caracosa hardcover, then I’m in. Ideally though, there would be four hardcover books, encompassing all of the material from the Grindhouse Edition.

Eagerly watching this thread for further updates.

Galahad de Corbenic wrote:

If the plan is to make it look as nice as the Caracosa hardcover, then I’m in. Ideally though, there would be four hardcover books, encompassing all of the material from the Grindhouse Edition.

It won't be all "ooohh special cover material and embossing!" like the Carcosa hardcover, but it should otherwise be the same physical quality as Vornheim/Isle/Carcosa.

Getting the Rules & Magic book into hardcover is the first priority, then new adventures, then Rules & Magic as separate hardcovers, then the Referee book, then reprinting old adventures.

Not planning on a Tutorial hardcover.

Although I haven’t seen my copies of Isle or Vornhiem yet (they’re still in the mail), I imagine a hardcover like them is good enough. 

I should mention, there are two things I really like about the Caracosa book (besides the “ooohh special cover,” that is):

1. Frequently referenced information in the endpapers. In Caracosa it was the map; in the rulebook, I imagine it should be tables and charts, like those on the back of the Rules and Magic book.

2. Use of different colored pages to mark off different sections of the book - makes it very easy to navigate, and looks good, too.

I hope to see these in the new book, but I think I’ll buy it with or without them.

I'll definitely contribute $110 for it, Does it also cover international shipping (either to Israel or to the UK)?

golan2072 wrote:

Does it also cover international shipping (either to Israel or to the UK)?

Yup.

This goes live at midnight tonight Helsinki time: http://youtu.be/fE0vMrnvqSg

Shared at roolipelit.net, my g+ and pelilauta.fi... Also putting it to my blog.

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

In for $175! This campaign so very much needs to pull a Double Fine!

Also in for $175

Unfortunately, it appears I can only afford the pdf bundle... I hope life would prove me wrong soon.

Added two more options that will doubtlessly be more popular once the adventures come into play: One is for PDF only of everything offered, the other is a "Collector's Pack" which gives 4 copies of EVERY item funded, basically allowing people local to each other to pitch in on the whole thing.

How does participating on this funding exactly work, I have few more questions. Let's say I want to contribute in a week or two some meager sum and that goal sum of 7,500 dollars listed on the right hand corner of the indiegogo page has already been met? As it looks like that meter will be filled in two or three days.

Is the deal something like this: Anybody can chip in and contribute their chosen amount for the next 40 days this is up regardless of has the 7,500 dollar goal already been met.

MutieMoe wrote:

Is the deal something like this: Anybody can chip in and contribute their chosen amount for the next 40 days this is up regardless of has the 7,500 dollar goal already been met.

Correct.