Topic: another use for the Random Esoteric Creature Generator

I don't like for the PCs to be able to generally know the capabilities of any NPC spell-casters that they might meet. So instead of using the same old lists of spells from the rulebook, the Random Esoteric Creature Generator (RECG) can be used instead.

As an example, let's suppose that the PCs run into a 10th-level druid. Everything about him is by-the-book (HD, to hit scores, saving throws, armor and weapon restrictions, etc.) except the whole spell-list is thrown-out. Instead, the druid gets powers as determined by rolling on the Special Abilities table of the RECG:

I roll a 21%, indicating that the druid gets 7 powers from the list. Here goes:

1. Charging attack: The druid may enter melee with a charge, doing double normal damage with melee weapons.

2. Mimicry: The druid is able to change his shape to be any inanimate object of roughly human size. He uses this ability to lure victims close so he may attack with surprise.

3. Immune to Most Spells: The druid is immune to all but the following four spells: soul bind (C9), storm of vengeance (D9), geas (C6, W6, I6), and discern location (C8).

4. Takes only half damage from crushing attacks.

5. Only magic weapons and weapons made out of bronze can affect the druid.

6. Damage Heals Only by Natural Healing: Any damage inflicted by the druid can be healed only through natural rest. Magical healing (spells, potions) of less than seventh level in power will not cure it. All other damage a character takes can
be healed by the usual means.

7. Transform Rock to Mud: The druid is able to transform rock into soft mud. Walls so transformed will collapse, pillars and boulders turned into goop, and floors will effectively turn into deadly quicksand. The druid can transform 50 square feet of rock. If the ability is used to cause direct damage to characters, those characters must make a save to avoid the effect.

I much prefer the above to a typical spell-list.

Last edited by Geoffrey (2010-04-01 21:18:49)

Re: another use for the Random Esoteric Creature Generator

Wow...that's pretty evocative & genre appropriate!

I'm going to have to try this out.

That is inspired.

Only other uses I have thought for the generator have not really been other uses at all, I have thought of using it for generating some really good mutants for Gammaworld & Clones or use as Alien Beast generator for Space Exploration sort of game.

MutieMoe wrote:

That is inspired.

This.

Great idea, Geoffrey. Mind if I use it?