Topic: Inventions of the 17th century, some adventure inspirations…

Here’s a list inventions from the 17th century. I’m throwing this up as seeds for potential adventures and fun details.

German-Dutch spectacle-maker Hans Lippershey invents the first refracting telescope.

Dutch builder Cornelis Drebbel invents the earliest human-powered submarine.

English mathematician William Oughtred invents the slide rule.

French physician Jean-Baptiste Denys invents a method for blood transfusion.

Italian engineer and architect Giovanni Branca invents a steam turbine.

English astronomer and mathematician W. Gascoigne invents the micrometer.

French mathematician Blaise Pascal invents the adding machine.

Italian mathematician and physicist Evangelista Torricelli invents the barometer.

Scientist and inventor Otto von Guericke invents an air pump.

Dutch mathematician and scientist Christian Huygens invents a pendulum clock.

Cuckoo clocks were made in Furtwangen, Germany, in the Black Forest region.

Mathematician and astronomer James Gregory invents the first reflecting telescope.

Mathematician and physicist Isaac Newton invents a reflecting telescope.

The first reference to a candy cane is made.

French Benedictine monk Dom Pérignon invents Champagne.

German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz invents the calculating machine.

Dutch Microbiologist Anton Van Leeuwenhoek was the first to see and describe bacteria with a microscope.

Dutch mathematician, astronomer, and physicist Christian Huygens patents the pocket watch.

English architect and natural philosopher Robert Hooke invents the universal joint.

French physicist, mathematician, and inventor Denis Papin invents the pressure cooker.

English inventor and engineer Thomas Savery invents a steam pump.

Seems like everyone was building telescopes and microscopes. I’m sure mages were using the same or similar devices for looking into space examining Jupiter for the most auspicious time to cast a ritual. Or using Aether Scopes to examine magical fluxations. While others were using microscopes to seek elementary particles of magic.

The cuckoo clock was invented, barometer, and calculating machines which I’m sure were of great interest to spellcasters of the time.