Topic: Lizards & Serpents

I've written up classes for Lizardmen and Serpentmen to replace Dwarves and Elves, respectively, for a more sword & sorcery feel in Lamentations of the Flame Princess: Grindhouse Edition.

Grab them HERE.

Comments would be welcome big_smile

Re: Lizards & Serpents

My quick glance only noticed a few typos and such.  Functionally, they are identical to dwarves and elves, though?  I didn't see much outside of different appearances separating them from the originals.  Was that the intent?

Dennis Higgins, The Higgipedia.
So mellow, he's probably not REALLY a grognard.

Check out Gaming All Over The Place: http://gamingallover.blogspot.com/

More or less so.

However, Lizardmen are a little stronger than Dwarves, due to the many complains I've heard about Dwarves being relatively weak. Oh, and they are using different skills.

Also, Lizardmen are somewhat different from Dwarves as they can hold their breath for a longer time and swim at their full speed.

Is this based on the Serpent cults in Howard's Kull stories?   Because they were all bad guys and the dire enemies of mankind.  Not sure how these would work as player characters in any general campaign, seems that you would have to custom write some reason as to why humans would want to associate with these beasties.

Maybe the Ghouls from Leiber would be better,  basically men with clear skin and muscles.

It is essentially semi-reskinned Deep Ones. Yes, the Serpent Men have hideous agendas, but the Serpent Blood typically don't know of their heritage until they reach an advanced age (and even then, not everyone does).

Well, in that case all Players need to do is say "Ka nama kaa lajerama!"  and the Serpent Men would recoil in horror and be unable to mouth the same words under threat.

This is instilled in man from the wars before Atlantis fell, back during the Elder Days.

You should probably read Robert E. Howards "The Shadow Kingdom", widely held as the first swords and sorcery story from 1929.  It deals will Kull the King uprooting hidden Serpent Men withing his palace, and their ability to assume the facial form of others. 

It was also published the same year as Lovecraft's Dunwich and features many references to his cannon of work, almost to the point of tying the two worlds together.  Kull's world predates Hyboria in that timeline as well.

It is in print in both the Del Ray trade paperbacks;  The Best of Robert E. Howard vol 1  and Kull: Exile of Atlantis.  The best of also features the story "The Black Stone", which is a Mythos tale that is the first appearance, amongst others, of the book Nameless Cult (Unaussprechlichen Kulten).   Awesome stuff really.