Topic: LOTFP Style Guide?

Hi there!

My friend and I are writing a rather large adventure for LotFP. 

We do not have any affiliation with LotFP beyond our love for the game. 

We're wondering if there is written anywhere a list of 'rules' for how adventures should be written to fit into the LotFP milieu.  I don't mean basic stuff like "weird monsters" and "unfathomable horrors" as that goes unsaid - I'm wondering if there are actual rules on where things must be listed for stats, etc. 

If not, cool.  We'll just do what we do. 

If so, we'd love to hear about them. 

Also, is there a formal way to pitch an idea to the Big Cheese?  We're proceeding on our own to self-publish, but if we could ever actually get involved it'd be nice to be official.  In any case, we'll be writing it and releasing it Somehow. 

That's all - I'm just wondering if anyone here knows where to point me. 

The basic premise is a site-based adventure set at a monastery hosting the peace talks between two exhausted armies during a long bloody war.  Things of course, go wrong.  Should be able to be set in northern Italy or in Ye Olde Fantasy Kingdom quite easily.

Re: LOTFP Style Guide?

I'm assuming since you're on this site, you are aware of the following (but linked, just in case):

http://www.lotfp.com/RPG/3rd-party-support

I actually do have a copy of an official style guide, but I'm not sure where I got it and a google search doesn't turn anything up. I may be able to post a link or details later. This mainly just explains how to format stat blocks and other sorts of grammar, punctuation, and layout requirements. It's only about 1 page.

As far as content requirements, the only thing that comes to mind is you probably shouldn't use any traditional fantasy races. Unless you've found an extremely creative use for them, your adventure will likely be rejected, or if it's otherwise amazing, you'll probably have to change them into something else (like the Orcs changed to "Pig-Men" in Towers Two).

There are two ways to pitch, I think:

1) Watch social media, forums, etc., and if Raggi announces that he's looking for something (new writer, new adventure, etc.) you might be jump in and submit your adventure, or even just a pitch, and he might approve it.

2) Once it's done, submit a pitch via e-mail. I believe the format he prefers is an overview, where you give an initial summary/introduction, and then summarize each section of the book.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the quick answer.  I was aware of the 3rd party support legalities, but yes, I was wondering about the stat blocks, layout requirements, etc.  I was just hoping that was written out somewhere but my google-fu is weak and I couldn't find it. 

As far as I know we fit into the 'theme' in that it features only 'realistic' humans and every monster is a unique individual with their own mechanics, stats, backstory, etc - I just was hoping to see things all laid out.  It involves a very hierarchical religious army (Catholics if real life) vs a conglomeration of mercantile states (Venice if real life), with of course some fucked up monsters in the middle and the PCs as the gasoline to pour on the fire.

Last edited by dungeonman (2019-03-12 05:13:19)

I found it! I had to google "Lotfp Styleguide" and it was the first link...

Here is the post by James Raggi, and if you read through the thread there are suggestions for writing for LotFP (although I think you are right on target with what you've stated so far):

https://plus.google.com/112262093672917 … knpb6HfGcR

And here's the direct link to the PDF in case G+ is gone when someone else is looking at this post:

https://app.box.com/s/e1a3k1pnintwjfbafdsb469ak71cka6t

Thanks so much!  Will post here whenever it is done!

As google+ is about to die, I would like to encourage LotFP (as a "company") to add the style guide to the 3rd party publisher guidelines on the homepage. And THANK YOU for digging them up for us smile

With kind regards
Gregorius21778