Topic: Rules Questions

I just finished reading the rules book (I haven't read the referee pdf yet, I understand that I'm probably jumping the gun a bit) and I'm planning on running an adventure for some of my friends, but this is a new system for all of us (we mainly play d&d 5e) and I'm really confused on some of the terminology and have concerns about the complexity of managing everything.

So, here are some questions I have in no particular order:

- Regarding skills, what does a "1 in 6" chance mean? Does the player roll a d6 and on a 6 the check is successful? For a 2 in 6 chance would that make a roll of 5 or 6 a success? I haven't been able to find any clarification of what this means.

- I don't know how often this would come up for us but I don't understand the interval column on the aging chart (p 35). There's no unit of time associated with it. Are the saving throws made after 1 year of in-game time for halfling and humans and then every 5 game years for dwarves?

- Coming from a fairly simplified system, I don't know how to handle the concept of retainers. I think it's an interesting mechanic, but does it get cumbersome to keep track of, along with estates and taxes and investments? I worried that my friends will be turned off by having too much to think about.

- I'm also unsure about the different between segments and rounds. I understand that a segment is one second and a round is six seconds, but I honestly don't understand the purpose of this distinction. Could someone please elaborate on how initiative and rounds of combat actually work?

Thank you all so much in advance, I really appreciate the help!

Re: Rules Questions

1 in 6 means roll 1d6. A "1" is a success.
2 in 6 means a "1 or 2" is a success.

Aging - you would be very lucky if you campaign last long enough for this to become relevant. Yes. The Interval is in years.

Retainers are not needed unless the PC's start building a home base, buy a ship, of make a wizard's library/laboratory. Estates/taxes/investnments also only apply if the PCs establish a base or invest their money in things.

a segment is a fraction of a round. In this game By-the-book a segment is a second.
A round is the time in which a PC or NPC can perform an action.
Simplified version: At the beginning of the combat. Referee and one player (for the group) each roll 1d6. High roll gets to go first.
If you want a more complex version, you can have each player roll initiative and add their Dex bonus. And do this each round, instead of once at the beginning.