Topic: Cheesing the Monolith

People complain about The Monolith Beyond Space and Time but it's probably the tamest LOTFP module out there, stat-wise. When you look at the Monolith you get awesome benefits and a very workable drawback. Getting inside the Monolith amounts to 2d4 unavoidable dmg, and once you're inside, there are no problems, only great loot and weird toys. The players can mess themselves up but probably none of it is too bad.

I.e., when Raggi writes "they are doomed, and were doomed from the moment they got involved" he's misrepresenting the adventure. Where's the deathtrap? (Probably the anglerfish thing.) I would LOVE to run this for first time players, b/c at the very least they get to be lvl 2 with INSTANT OVERNIGHT FULL HEALING FOREVER. Also they don't need to (can't) stand watch anymore. I guess I'll tell you how it goes.

THE MONOLITH BEYOND SPACE AND TIME: 10/10 A MUNCHKIN'S WET DREAM

Re: Cheesing the Monolith

Heh, I've never really looked at it that way! That does make them quite a force to be reckoned with.

Of course, before they get to enjoy their new power they might get lost in a valley multiple Astral Units wide, fall to their death trying to escape the Plateau, get eaten by the mentioned anglerfish, be confounded by the Owls or get lost in the titular Monolith.

And if they do escape the valley with their instant healing and auto-guarding they will be immune to any and all magic effects, so there will be no magical healing nor hasting or flying away, when the city guard comes asking why they slaughtered everyone in the inn. So they'll need to say goodbye to city life for good or eventually get hunted down.

So I'd say it's appropriate to say they're doomed. Not for death maybe, but at least for some very Interesting Times.

And by all means, I'm excited to hear how it went for you!
(There's a chance that my players are actually going to seek the Monolith in my own campaign.)