Topic: First Post - New to LotFP

Hi, everyone. My real name is Mark, from Oakland, CA. I've been curious about Lamentations of the Flame Princess for a long time, but I only recently acquired the books, after I got the opportunity to get them at a garage sale. I've been flipping through them - not really reading them, yet - and I've got to say that I'm really impressed.

So... any advice for a first time LotFP player/GM (probably just GM at first) looking to get started?

Re: First Post - New to LotFP

What books did you get?

Have you downloaded all the free stuff from the main page yet?

-Referee Book (including an adventure: Stranger Storm)
-Better Than Any Man
-Doom-Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children

What's your previous RPG experience?

The book haul I got included the new referee book and the old referee book (which has Stranger Storm inside) - actually, it had the entire old trio of books. It also included Better than Any Man.

The rest of the haul was: The Monolith from Beyond Space and Time, A Red and Pleasant Land, Carcosa, Qelong, Isle of the Unknown, The Seclusium of Orphone, Scenic Dunnsmouth, and Vornheim.

I've been roleplaying for a long time. My career in the hobby started with 2nd Edition AD&D. I quickly wandered into more narrative games, like the old World of Darkness, but I never stopped playing D&D in its various incarnations. I'm a big fan of FATE.

Nice haul!

I recommend starting with reading Better Than Any Man cover to cover.  It's a fun read and gives you a great sense for what LotFP is all about.  Then read the Rules and Magic book and the Ref book.

I started my now three year long campaign with Stranger Storm being set near the SW corner of the map in Better Than Any Man.  I had also placed Tower of the Stargazer nearby, but you could throw the Monolith there instead.  Thrust the players into the campaign with Stranger Storm, and feed them some rumors about the happenings in the area to get them involved with Better Than Any Man.

I had also started with 2E and have played various iterations of D&D, but when I first started with LotFP I wasn't really clued into what OSR (Old School Renaissance) was.  So, I also recommend the FREE Old School Primer:

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/matthew- … 59558.html

Hack & Slash is filled with great theory and info about not just old school gaming, but great gaming in general:

http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/

Finally, if you're on Facebook, there's a LotFP community there, and if you're on G+ there's a great LotFP and OSR community there too! 

Welcome!

Last edited by Crunk Posby (2016-03-02 05:23:49)

Thanks. I've downloaded the Old School Primer, joined the Facebook page and G+ group, and I'll read the blog post.

ElectricPaladin wrote:

The book haul I got included the new referee book and the old referee book (which has Stranger Storm inside) - actually, it had the entire old trio of books. It also included Better than Any Man.

The rest of the haul was: The Monolith from Beyond Space and Time, A Red and Pleasant Land, Carcosa, Qelong, Isle of the Unknown, The Seclusium of Orphone, Scenic Dunnsmouth, and Vornheim.

I've been role playing for a long time. My career in the hobby started with 2nd Edition AD&D. I quickly wandered into more narrative games, like the old World of Darkness, but I never stopped playing D&D in its various incarnations. I'm a big fan of FATE.

You did VERY well, sir! I wish I had such cool yard sales in my area. If you haven't heard of it checkout the google + group at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities … 4743013408
or search for:
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
an unofficial fan community

It's by invite only which keeps trolls, griefers and assorted scum at bay. I'm a recent member and it's a nice group of people who share a lot of info. You will also find links to a lot of blogs with even more info on LotFP and OSR stuff in general.

I'm the G+ community, too! I just posted. My IRL name is Mark Stone.

Great seeing you here!

My advice: get into it right away, not too much prep, and let the players drive the story, regardless of which module you choose to run. You'll quickly get the hang of it together, and the real fun in playing this game is the strange things that are likely to happen around the table. smile

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving