Topic: Lamentations of the Flame Princess has won me over!

I've pre-ordered Lamentations of the Flame Princess (LotFP) Grindhouse Edition a week ago, and that included a bundled PDF version of the rules which I could download even before the print edition gets printed and shipped to me. So I started reading through the PDFs, bit by bit, my time constrained by real-life commitments and other projects. I will post a full review of it later, when I'll finish reading it all; so far I'm in the middle of the spell list in the rulebook,

And so far I am amazed with LotFP.

First and foremost, the flavor, writing style, art and layout are second to none. The rules also seem to be very well thought-out, very evocative and truly fitting the intended flavor. The author wanted to convey a sense of horror and dark fantasy, and both the text and the rules fit these themes perfectly. The same goes to the highly detailed, well-written introductory booklet, which covers the basis of role-playing in general and horror role-playing in particular, including a brilliant review of inspirational literature.

But the one thing that made me say "WOW!" aloud was the Summon spell. It was re-built into an interesting, risky, often horrific spell that fits the literary and legendary inspiration perfectly. No more boring spells that summon an Infernal Rat as in TETSNBN! Here your character gets to summon demons from beyond, which works out just like a demon summoning in myth and legend - powerful but risky. And it is a level 1 (!!!) Magic-User spell, so that fumbling apprentices could, accidentally, summon a horrid demon which will easily slip away from their control - and wreak havoc all around.

In short, this is D&D remixed into a dark-fantasy game that, while having a few modern comforts (such as ascending HP), keeps the spirit true to the older editions of the game.

Of course, I will still stay loyal to S&W:WB as it probably fits the flavor of my Wounded Gaia setting better than LotFP, but, eventually, I'll write my own dark-fantasy setting to go along with LotFP, which is an excellent ruleset.

Good work!

Last edited by golan2072 (2011-04-11 18:39:08)