Topic: Advice for running Qelong

Hey everyone!

I'm currently preparing to run Qelong, as part of an ongoing mixed rule system campaign. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on supplementary material and resources I should look into using to round out the setting as most as possible?

I'm interested in everything from miniatures and map terrain, to reading material both game related to non-fiction. I'm also interested in your experiences using Qelong at your game table.

Re: Advice for running Qelong

Might seem a little trippy, but I tried this a while back with another asian-styled campaign: burn incense. The really sweet and flowery stuff. Puts you right there, and hits a sense players are not used to having activated.

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

Thanks for the music suggestion and the olfactory immersion idea guys. I recently found the 2012 (?) Bedrock Games' Arrow of Indra and it has some elements that could be brought over into the horror-Cambodia setting of Qelong. I'm hoping I'll uncover some more supplements that could be cross referenced to enhance the setting.

You know, it's okay. The character classes are definitely nothing special or specifically changed from the standard rules. I find some of the interpretations to be a little tasteless, but the overall material is interesting and fairly fresh. I think some of the most useful rules the book introduces are the castes and how they impact the character's base stats. It's definitely not PC, but it's an easy way to bring the subject in and feels like an appropriate option for an 'old-school' game, but certainly not for a more modern game that leans towards being more sensitive and accurate.

Thanks Ed! I'm definitely fusing as many resources into the setting as possible. I guess I'm leaning towards showing a broader variety of cultures in the valley than in the original material. I was thinking of making the warring mages more accessible, possibly with one being of Indian descent, possibly an enlightened monk outside the order of the Lotus, and the other mage more Chinese in nature, likely with more military force, but less divine power. I'm still working on it, but it's a fascinating angle to consider.