Topic: New World, Ancient Evil

So, I'm getting ready to run my first session of Lamentations. It's set in a somewhat anachronistic period similar to the colonization of the "New World".

My first adventure, or module, or whatever you prefer to call it is inspired by the events of the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island. The PC's begin on a ship to the "new world", and when they arrive they find the colony for which they were bound is abandoned. MYSTERY! Yada, yada, yada, and they discover that a demon masquerading as a god (Tharz-gul, God of Fertility & Debauchery) has been demanding sacrifices from some of the colonists in exchange for promises of power, but lesser demons summoned by this colonist-turned-cult-leader have broken free from his control and are responsible for the disappearance of the entire colony. There's more to it, but you get the gist, I hope.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is to see if you guys have any cool ideas for encounters based on this premise. Player agency is of utmost importance to me, so please no "railroad" scenarios. And, yes, I realize that my premise as-written could be seen as a railroad, but it's simply the starting scenario. I have no problem with the players veering away from it (or shunning it altogether) but I have to have SOMETHING prepared.

Input is always appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: New World, Ancient Evil

I'm just getting started with the system myself so I don't have much to add.. I've only run the adventure in the back of the Grindhouse referee book and I've read a couple other published adventures. They reminded me how incredibly useful a timer can be. Given the location I'd think weather could make for one hell of a timer. Get done and get out before something really nasty blows in.

Last edited by lanir (2015-08-27 12:49:05)