Topic: Wisdom and Intelligence in GrindHouse

Hi,
I'm interested to know what hte role of these two stats have in the Grindhouse edition.
As they were only used to modify saving throws vs magic against Clerics and Magic Users respectively in the original edition I found them even then to be the least important of the stats.

When we played a couple of months ago I rolled up a character with high wisdom so jumped straight into Cleric.  I found it quite a let down to discover that his effectiveness would be no less if his stat was 3 as opposed to the 16 that it was.  We were playing Tower of the Stargaser and I've got say there weren't many Cleric spells that I needed to make saves against!

With this in mind I have been following the blogs about the Grindhouse edition quite closely. With the reduction of attack spells for wizards and the Cleric now being anti-magic, anti-chaos is there a place for these stats?  I mena, if there arent any spells to save against why would I need a bonus? 

Or do they now do something else as well now? (I sure hope so).

thanks

Ps. I will still be buying the new rules either way smile

Re: Wisdom and Intelligence in GrindHouse

Got you covered.

Now Intelligence affects spell-related saving throws, Wisdom affects non- spell-related saving throws.

Thanks for the answer Jim.  That sounds good.
It is a shame that neither of those stats makes you any better at Magic User or Cleric but then I dont suppose they did in the old basic rules either.

JimLotFP wrote:

Got you covered.

Now Intelligence affects spell-related saving throws, Wisdom affects non- spell-related saving throws.

INT and WIS modifiers affect "magical activity" time (researching spells, writing scrolls, etc) for MUs and Clerics, respectively.

The MU's INT modifier still modifies saving throws against that MU's spells.

JimLotFP wrote:

Got you covered.

Hum, i'm quite sure i'm not understanding it ...

Do you mean that my +1 Intelligence is a bonus to spell related ST and that i can use my wisdom bonus when i save against, let's say poison or breath??

If so, what about magical devices?

I'd say the INT modifier affects all magic-related saves.

Thanks for clearing this point!
I saw this in page 2 of the "rules and magic" but not on the "character sheet" of page 166 so i had a doubt in the meaning of the abilities description.

Exaybachay wrote:
JimLotFP wrote:

Got you covered.

Hum, i'm quite sure i'm not understanding it ...

Do you mean that my +1 Intelligence is a bonus to spell related ST and that i can use my wisdom bonus when i save against, let's say poison or breath??

If so, what about magical devices?

Still not clear on this...

Does the Wisdom bonus affect non-spell-related saving throws, i.e. Paralyze, Poison, Dragon Breath, Death?

timmyd wrote:

Still not clear on this...

Does the Wisdom bonus affect non-spell-related saving throws, i.e. Paralyze, Poison, Dragon Breath, Death?

As long as the save is not triggered by a spell or magical effect, yes.