Topic: Clerics and Magic Users in the same Party

In a world where Law and Chaos have an in-game meaning, and possibly are opposed to each other, how can a Cleric (who is always Lawful) adventure in the same party with a Magic User (who is always Chaotic)?

Re: Clerics and Magic Users in the same Party

golan2072 wrote:

In a world where Law and Chaos have an in-game meaning, and possibly are opposed to each other, how can a Cleric (who is always Lawful) adventure in the same party with a Magic User (who is always Chaotic)?

Owing to the fact that alignment and morality are separated in LotFP, you can do this.  It's a fundamentally different worldview, not a code of behavior, per se.

From the Rules & Magic book (p. 21):

Alignment is a character’s orientation on a cosmic scale. It has nothing to do with a character’s allegiances, personality, morality, or actions. Alignments will mostly be used to determine how a character is affected by certain magical elements in the game.

The biggest difference is that the cleric will be fatalistic, owing any success to favor from above, while the mage will believe he can make his own luck.  How these characters act in any other manner is up to the PCs.

Dennis Higgins, The Higgipedia.
So mellow, he's probably not REALLY a grognard.

Check out Gaming All Over The Place: http://gamingallover.blogspot.com/

I treat them like detectable auras and not allegiances, as well.  I use good and evil in Gothic Greyhawk, but it's not related to alignment and has no game mechanic tied to it (it's purely for story).

I kinda like the LotFP implied idea that M-U magic is somewhat foreign to the mortal world; it gives M-U magic a distinct flavor when compared to Cleric magic, which is something I like in games that keep the M-U/Cleric divide.