Topic: Paging Mr Raggi

Hi pal,

I bought the new Grindhouse edition from RPGNow and must say the new art (especially the boatmen in the swamp!) and clarified rules are great! Nice job!

My question is, what changes, if any, would you need to make to the rules if you wanted to use them to run a more standard "old school d&d romp"? Complete with lots of magic items, goblins, taverns, dragons and other cliches? Sacrilege i know, but that is what my players want and i also happen to own a metric shit tonne of adventures and books in this this vein. smile

Cheers for your time,

Wayne.

Ps - I have read the advice that is present in the rule referees guide, but it basically just says not to give out standard type magic items. wink

Re: Paging Mr Raggi

I wouldn't make changes to the rules, I'd just be aware that LotFP characters aren't going to be quite as powerful as characters in other games.

There's the usual "Basic" vs "Advanced" power disparity that starts rearing its head after a couple levels, and then starting at 5th level the difference between LotFP and the others will really start to hit. No fireballs for the Magic-User, most characters' to-hit bonuses are static as monster ACs keep getting better and better, etc. (and LotFP characters will advance more slowly starting in the mid-levels as well)

I'd say for level 1 - 3 adventures, nothing really has to change. I'd say LotFP characters should be an extra level higher than suggested for Basic type adventures, or two levels for Advanced type adventures.

I would alter the modules to make sure any NPC Clerics and MUs are working from the same spell lists as the PCs though (with the same consideration for scrolls).

But Clerics and their anti-magic powers and Magic-Users and their summoning are really going to be wildcards once they have a few levels under their belts...

Re: Paging Mr Raggi

That all seems pretty easy to go with.

Thanks for the answers pal, i'll let you know how it all pans out.