Topic: Do Ability Score mods affect Saving Throw rolls?

Yeah, do they?
Thanks,
Legion

Re: Do Ability Score mods affect Saving Throw rolls?

Two of them do. If you have the latest Rules & Magic it's all on page 6.

You people are all alike, you march in here, young, try and touch the local things.
I suppose next you'll be spraying me with one of those cans of paint, smearing poor Tubbs here with excrement.

Ah, OK.
So if a MU or Cleric is helping his buddies with magic shenanigans, his mod affects the friends' saves positively against enemy magic.
Likewise, a MU or Cleric's mod negatively affects his enemies' saves vs. his own magic. Is that right?

And, so, none of the other four Ability Score mods affect saves in any way?
Hm.

No.

A character's Int Mod affects HIS OWN rolls saving against magic and the rolls of enemies if he is a magic user targeting enemies with HIS magic, but it's not a party buff.

As for Wisdom, the Wis Mod can be applied to ALL non-magic saving throws for ALL characters (but only for their own rolls), and the cleric also applies it to the saving throws of his enemies targeted by HIS magic.

Last edited by Cutter (2013-10-18 12:27:01)

You people are all alike, you march in here, young, try and touch the local things.
I suppose next you'll be spraying me with one of those cans of paint, smearing poor Tubbs here with excrement.

Ah cool.

Thanks for the clarity.

I'm glad you understood that, because I think I confused myself a little.

If I'm reading it right, a character can use their own Int Mod to help with a roll to save against a Magic-User's spell cast at them, but can't use their Wis Mod to help save against Clerical spells cast against them, because the Wis Mod can only be applied to non-spell saves.

However, the casting cleric CAN use their Wis Mod to reduce the chance to save against a spell they cast.

So one up for the cleric I guess.

All if that said, if you wanted to let a character use their Con Mod to resist poison, or their Dex Mod to get out of the way of a breath weapon attack, I don't think anyone is going to drum you out of the forum :-)

Cutter wrote:

If I'm reading it right, a character can use their own Int Mod to help with a roll to save against a Magic-User's spell cast at them, but can't use their Wis Mod to help save against Clerical spells cast against them, because the Wis Mod can only be applied to non-spell saves.

However, the casting cleric CAN use their Wis Mod to reduce the chance to save against a spell they cast.

All if that said, if you wanted to let a character use their Con Mod to resist poison, or their Dex Mod to get out of the way of a breath weapon attack, I don't think anyone is going to drum you out of the forum :-)

Divine magic is still magic. If a cleric spell allows a saving throw, the targets int mod applies.

Yuritau wrote:
Cutter wrote:

Divine magic is still magic. If a cleric spell allows a saving throw, the targets int mod applies.

Sadly no. It specifies Magic-User spells on page 6.

So it does, I stand corrected.

I believe it's this way:

Wis—Cleric Caster (offensive); saves vs non-magic

Int—MU Caster (offensive); saves vs magic (including Cleric magic)

Rules & Magic page 6

Intelligence
Intelligence is the measure of a character’s knowledge prior to the start of play. Intelligence does not measure a character’s memory or ability to solve puzzles; it is the player’s wits that must be used in these situations. Intelligence modifiers affect the
character’s ability to learn languages, are added to saving throw rolls against Magic-User spells, and for Magic-Users it affects the time (and thus expense) required to research spells and create magic items, as well as influencing the saving throws of those
subject to the Magic-User’s spells.

Strength
Strength is a measure of a character’s raw power. Strength modifiers affect a character’s ability to hit in mêlée combat, open stuck doors, or succeed in unarmed combat.

Wisdom
Wisdom is the measure of a character’s connection to the greater universe, and the strength of the character’s spirit. Wisdom does not affect the character’s ability to make good decisions or judge situations or characters; it is the player’s own judgment which must be used in these situations. Wisdom modifiers affect the character’s non-spell related saving throw rolls, and for Clerics it affects the time (and thus expense) required to research spells and create holy items, as well as influencing the saving throws of those subject to the Cleric’s spells.

The epic fantasy novels in The Vhaidra Saga are all available with free overnight shipping at https://amzn.to/3z9sImV