Topic: Questions about spells

Hi everyone !

I am Matt. I have recently started to go through my LotFP books especially Rules and Magic and I am looking for help with spells.

First, when a spell effect says "10' cube" (like in the Dig spell) or "10' cubic area" (like in the Dispel Magic spell), should one understand 10  feet x 10 feet x 10 feet ?

Then, I am a bit confused by the Dig and Move Earth spells. Both spells have instantaneous duration but the Dig spell effect mentions "10' cube increment" and Move Earth says "per Turn". I am not sure how to interpret these two sentences in regards to the spell duration. Do you have any insight ?
And should the Move Earth spell has the same chance of "collapsing" as the Dig spell ?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Questions about spells

DarkMatter wrote:

Hi everyone !

I am Matt. I have recently started to go through my LotFP books especially Rules and Magic and I am looking for help with spells.

Hi, Matt.

DarkMatter wrote:

First, when a spell effect says "10' cube" (like in the Dig spell) or "10' cubic area" (like in the Dispel Magic spell), should one understand 10  feet x 10 feet x 10 feet ?

Yes, that's how I rule it.

DarkMatter wrote:

Then, I am a bit confused by the Dig and Move Earth spells. Both spells have instantaneous duration but the Dig spell effect mentions "10' cube increment" and Move Earth says "per Turn". I am not sure how to interpret these two sentences in regards to the spell duration. Do you have any insight ?
And should the Move Earth spell has the same chance of "collapsing" as the Dig spell ?

Thank you for your help.

The wording is indeed a bit unclear but I would rule that both spells can clear an area of that size (10'cube/50'cube) per turn(10 minutes). Move earth can clear a much bigger area in the same amount of time, can move the anywhere in it's reach (instead of just besides that hole like Dig) and it does not have have the same chance of collapsing. I'd say the caster can do this as long as her concentrates.
Personally, I never saw either spell in any of my games but I hope this was at least a bit helpful.

Last edited by Neureich (2021-10-17 01:09:55)

Hi Neureich !

Thanks a lot for your answers!

So if I understand you correctly, you would play the duration of the spell as "concentration" and the only thing that would limit the size of the "digging" (and therefore the time during which the mage would be able to dig) would be the range of the spell?

Another possibility (I only thought about ir recently) would be to rewrite the spells in a way closer to B/X DnD or OSE where the duration of the move earth spell is 6 Turns...

DarkMatter wrote:

Hi Neureich !

Thanks a lot for your answers!

So if I understand you correctly, you would play the duration of the spell as "concentration" and the only thing that would limit the size of the "digging" (and therefore the time during which the mage would be able to dig) would be the range of the spell?

Yes, basically. As long as the caster doesn't move or take some other action, he can keep digging. He'd also have to do it all in one go, so no stopping and starting at another spot, even if it is within spell range. Doing so would need a new cast.

DarkMatter wrote:

Another possibility (I only thought about ir recently) would be to rewrite the spells in a way closer to B/X DnD or OSE where the duration of the move earth spell is 6 Turns...

You could do that, but I don't think it needs rebalancing, if that's what you are worried about. Sure, creative players would be able to amazing and terrible things with it, but at the same time, Summon is a level 1 spell. Making a huge mess with magic is always a possibility.

Neureich wrote:

You could do that, but I don't think it needs rebalancing, if that's what you are worried about. Sure, creative players would be able to amazing and terrible things with it, but at the same time, Summon is a level 1 spell. Making a huge mess with magic is always a possibility.

Yeah you're right. I have finished to read all the spells and it would not be a big deal to leave the spell as you propose. Thanks again !