Topic: Musket vs. Arquebus

I saw somewhere that there is some advantage that Musket has over an arquebus. But I can't find it. Muskets are a lot more encumbering and have the same range and damage. Why would you want a musket?

Re: Musket vs. Arquebus

As far as I can tell, RAW, there is no advantage.  I feel like the arquebus should have a range increment between the pistol and the musket, if you want to house rule it so there is a good reason to choose a musket.

I think mechanically/strategically, one would choose the musket if setting it up in advance and trying to strike a target from a distance. The arquebus is good for adventuring and getting a shot off into melee - and shortening the range of the arquebus would lean into this.

I checked my own gear sheet that I made based off the LotFP rules, and I have a note that Muskets ignore the first 5 points of armor at all ranges. I could not find that in the rule book, but it doesn't seem like a house rule I would come up with...so maybe I found that somewhere in the official rules or an a FAQ somewhere?

¶They ignore 5 points of Armor at short range (at all ranges for muskets).***

The rule is on page 159, under "Matchlock", which lists most of the general firearm rules.
This makes it a good weapon for battlefields (and maybe wilderness travel) but not so much for most "dungeon" locations.

while muskets were heavier and bulkier, they could reload faster, had better range and accuracy, and allowed for bayonet usage - advantages that may make them preferable in some RPG weapon systems. But overall the differences were minor.

Last edited by magdalena (2023-08-17 06:16:12)

I am doing some house ruling atm. Historically the Musket was better that the Arbequs and was an improvement… but I’m going to use the Arbeques as a heavier and harder hitting weapon. My game is set during the era of the English Civil War so flintlocks are more common.

As per raw it requires a fork to stabilise it to avoid a -2, it can’t mount a bayonet but it does +2 damage, throwing a larger ball. Again, historically not the case but doing that here.

I’m having all firearms ignore armor based AC bonuses, instead introducing a 1, 2 or 3 pt DR, with minimum damage always being applied if the DR would stop it completely.

In my setting the musket is lighter, more mobile, can be turned into a spear to ward off Calvary. The arbeques would be the heavy hitting gun designed to really punch into the enemy for deadly effect… even a minimum damage roll does 3 hps. A roll of 2 or 3 is lethal against most men… unless they have armor that is.

Last edited by AussieHelaman (2023-12-02 01:06:06)

The musket and the arquebus are both historical firearms, but they were used in different time periods and had distinct characteristics.
[size=1]connections[/size]