Topic: Anyone Have House rules that get rid of race as class?

My first gaming experiences were primarily 2nd edition.

I do like the ruleset so far, but never really been a fan of the whole race-as-class approach. I understand it comes from
0D&D.

I have looked at the Advanced Edition rules from Labryinth Lord and those look like they would work well enough with some minor tweaking.

Just curious if anyone has done anything specifically for LotFP and/or have some advice on the subject?

Re: Anyone Have House rules that get rid of race as class?

I'm sure people have, but I am so disinterested in having races other than humans as playable characters that I haven't bookmarked those resources.

LotFP is moving toward an all human setting, with only three classes (Clerics and demi-humans being moved to the appendix). I think your best bet is to find another OSR ruleset that does this and just latch it on to LotFP.

Alternately, you could just come up with the races you want to use, figure out what's different about them, and let your players choose from that.  Or, even let your players decide, with your approval, would advantages and disadvantages being a dwarf would have and just tweak their abilities to match.

Fair enough, as a follow up question. Anyone specifically have experience using the Advanced Edition LL rules in combination with LotFP?

Looks relatively straight forward, just seeing if anyone has some advice.

If you're interested in more variability without there having to be classes, I made an option for "Classless LotFP" here in the Undercroft 'zine: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/145420/The-Undercroft-4

As a minimalist (before I found LotFP, my game of choice was Microlite20), my solution to not having "races as classes" was short and (for my tastes) sweet.  Dwarves (not "Dwarfs;" I don't care if it's technically correct) are basically 4- to 5-foot humans with beards who can see in black-and-white in conditions of non-magical total darkness (such as underground).  Elves are 5- to 6-foot humans with pointed ears who can see normally in low-light situations (such as outside at night).  Halflings are 3- to 4-foot humans with furry feet.  That's about all.

Dwarves could easily be re-skinned as a Pikeman Class.
Halflings could easily be turned into a Poacher/Fronteersman Class.

Well, sorry for thread Necromancy (OP was 2016).

I guess there is a slight misunderstanding  about the four iconic classes. They were never intended to be read as "warrior", "thief", "wizard" or "cleric", but as "human-warrior", "human-thief", "human-wizard", and "human-cleric".  There is just less options in the core rulebook for the other playable races.

In fact, everything is class as race+profession (human being implied if not specified). If you want a dwarf artificier, or hobbit gourmet cannibal shaman, or whatever, just do your own.

I think this system is better, because you can actually design something in accordance with your players will without having to comply with a generic class/race matrix. As an added value, you can fine tune things without the technical failures induced with multiclassing.

As an illustrative example, see this modest contribution I posted for DCC RPG (it's an elf stalker: a kind of ranger/wizard http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop … p;t=22588)

Last edited by 8bit-sorcerer (2019-04-19 00:30:10)