Topic: Question on mixing systems

Hello everyone
New to the forum and LotFP, but have been playing 74D&D for over a decade, and really love the spells and supplements for lotfp. With some things though, I do prefer the OD&D approach and wanted to see if I could make a few changes without completely throwing off the balance of the game.

One change I was going to make was to get rid of the generic to hit bonuses, and have fighters roll an additional d20 per level (per 2 levels after 9). I in turn was going to change the strength bonus to the +1 dmg for 15 and above. If I lower the standard unarmored AC to 11, would this work ok without terribly unbalancing things? The other changes I was going to do would be change experience to that modled in delving deeper, and give a +1 to hit and initiative for Dex over 15 (+2 ranged)

Curious as to if any of these changes would drastically screw with any of the other game mechanics. The other of&d clone I've been using is delving deeper, which is essentially an improved version of od&d with better clarifications.

Re: Question on mixing systems

I don't think most of what you suggest would dramatically change things. Although I don't fully understand what you mean by "have fighters roll an additional d20 per level." Does that mean they roll with advantage? Add all the d20s together? That would change things a lot... 

I think it's pretty easy to just fold in the spells and supplements and use whatever D&D set you want. Most Old School games are not meant to be completely balanced anyway, and dropping the AC from 12 to 11 only gives characters a +5% chance to hit a 0-level NPC.

Re: Question on mixing systems

Crunk Posby wrote:

I don't think most of what you suggest would dramatically change things. Although I don't fully understand what you mean by "have fighters roll an additional d20 per level." Does that mean they roll with advantage? Add all the d20s together? That would change things a lot... 

I think it's pretty easy to just fold in the spells and supplements and use whatever D&D set you want. Most Old School games are not meant to be completely balanced anyway, and dropping the AC from 12 to 11 only gives characters a +5% chance to hit a 0-level NPC.

Thank you! I should have been more specific, in delvinging deeper, fighters basically roll a number of d20 equal to their level and all are treated as separate attacks, in this way, a fighter could make multiple attacks in a single round.

Oh and dropping the AC by one is meant to make up for the lack of PC to hit bonuses.

Last edited by lerugray (2018-11-04 20:21:19)